Christians, why waste time trying to "save" the atheists? Why not focus on those who also believe?

in the same god, but are going about their salvation in the wrong way? They'd be a lot easier to convert as they already believe in god...they just need their habits/doctrine adjusted a bit. So why not go for easier conversions?

Mwwaa-haaaa-haaa haa!!!

44 Answers

Relevance
  • Miz T
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

One of the most interesting afternoons I ever spent was watching two LDS missionaries attempting to bring the Word to a Wiccan. When one of them consented to have his palm read and the other one nearly had apoplexy, it got even more interesting.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jesus said, "They that are whole (those that already follow Him) do not need a physician (the Holy Spirit) but those that are sick (those without understanding of Scripture and salvation)" (Matthew 9:12).

It is not the saved who need the most attention but the sinners.

It is not a Christian's job to convert (only the Holy Spirit can do that) but to explain the Gospel about Jesus and the thrills of eternal life.

• 1 decade ago

Top Ten Signs You’re a Fundamentalist Christian

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and “dehumanized” when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the “atrocities” attributed to Allah, but you don’t even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in “Exodus” and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in “Joshua” including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs — though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most “tolerant” and “loving.”

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in “tongues” may be all the evidence you need to “prove” Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a “high success rate” when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

• 1 decade ago

although i'm christian i dont come from the religious background where you ram your beliefs down other peoples throats. So i dont actually convert people.

But i'd say athiests are often easier to convert than, say, a muslim. The athiest believes life is all their is. If life gets bad, then they cant pray to anyone for help, have no hope for reaching heaven, cant see a point in trying because theirs noone to impress and everything that goes wrong is down to them.

So if they have hit a low, they are looking for something to raise them up. They look for hope. And for promise of better things. Therefore, at these times in an athiests life, its possible to convert them, as this is one way of giving them these things .

Compare that to a muslim, who already has allah to rely on and to pray to, who has his own beliefs on how to get to heaven. Who goes by the quran in his times of need and has hope of salvation and heaven already. Why would he need to convert? He already feels guided and protected.

Also, christians do not believe in aiming for the 'easy options'. We are meant to convert any person we can. Regardless of if their a soft target or not. And if we manage to convert a person staunchly against being converted then its like getting more brownie points for our good deed!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ummm because how can we not try to live by the Law God gave us, and that is to evangelize or spread the Good Word that we do not have to go to Hell when we die. Easier Conversions are Easier Conversions but Harder Conversions are Harder Conversions. So Evangelizing is one way we show worship to God. We dont want Athiests to go to Hell, nor anyone else who does not accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

• 1 decade ago

Because in Matthew 28:18-20 Jesus give us the Great Commission

Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and on earth is given to Me, so go into all the world and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit..." we are to witness to all not just the "easy" ones to convert. By the way, do you watch Hannah Montana...your last little statement sounds like Rico.

Source(s): Bible.org
  • 1 decade ago

Because Christians feel that they've got the right to harass other people into believing what they believe. If an atheist went around trying to convert people to atheism there would be outrage. Or if a Satanist were to stand in the street and talk about Lucifer through a microphone they'd probably end up getting their asses kicked.

• 1 decade ago

Technically, you're right, there would never have been a need for someone in Hell now, to have ever had anyone witnessing to them. Why would God have Christians wasting their time like that? Not bad, you get a star.

• 1 decade ago

I'm not christian so I can't really answer for them but here's what I think:

They tell us Armageddon will arrive on the day every heart on earth knows the word of god. So, they don't go after the people who already have a belief in god because they don't have to. They want to spread the word not contain it with those who already "believe".

Source(s): BTW! I'm 26. so, no, I don't watch Hanna Montana. I was raised Catholic. Now I'm pagan. Many, many, many reasons...
  • 1 decade ago

It could be argued that Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Protestantism are all paths that lead to salvation in Christianity. Therefore, one does not need to focus on the believers.

I, however, do not agree that we as Christians should preach to nonbelievers. It just causes more strife. If someone wants to come to know the Lord, then they will come on their own.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.