Somebody please help! Why do all of my games keep locking up? Every single one my games are doing it.?

All my games keep locking up and I get a message from my graphics card saying: VPU Recover has reset you graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands. I have games as new as Spore and Civ. Colonization and old as Sid Meier's Pirates.

I just upgraded my pc about as good as I think I can get it so I'm clueless. I play my games in 1024x768 on a 37" HD 1080p capable TV.

These are my specs:

Mainboard : Abit VT7 (VIA PT880-8237)

Chipset : VIA PT880

Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 3000 MHz

Physical Memory : G Skill 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR-SDRAM )

Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series 512 mb onboard

Hard Disk : WDC (80 GB) 50% free

Monitor Type : SHARP HDMI - 37 inches HD Aquos

Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

DirectX : Version 9.0c (October 2008)

Processor Temperature : 68 °C

Mainboard Temperature : 24 °C

ACPI Thermal Zone : 68 °C

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series :ATI Catalyst Driver

GPU Temperature: 42 °C

Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T

Hard Disk: 32 °C

Please help! It's really frustrating that I just bought new Ram, Graphics card, and Power supply and none of my games work. I know my machine's not a powerhouse but I'm pretty sure it should be able to handle these games.

Favorite Answer

Your processor and video card are pretty outdated... I don't know why you bought that card, as it is 2 generations old. Even on a budget, that's still pretty old.

I would say that the Pentium 4 could be at its limit and cannot handle the games you're trying to play. Also, the RAM and/or graphics card may have been doa and have something major wrong.

I had the same problem when I first built my comp, but that was with all new parts, not just replacing some of them. My problem turned out to be a faulty motherboard out of the box.

Your specs are just fine to run those games, the problem mostly likely is with your configuration. I assume if you upgraded your system you also installed a fresh copy of xp and all your hardware drivers, as well as Direct X. If you didn't, do so. After everything has been updated and a fresh os insures no viruses, if there are still problems, it's caused by defective hardware. Another thought, i noticed you didn't give the specs on your PSU, if its underpowered for your system it could also cause freezes and restarts especially when the video card starts pulling power ie. full 3D games. Check the power requirements on your video card and see if your supply is up to it.

Did you make sure to uninstall your old graphics driver before installing the new one? I would just start over, uninstall all graphics drivers then reinstall the one for the card you're using. Don't update it till you try the games, if they're working stable then upgrade. If they're not working, then upgrade anyways maybe the upgrade will fix it.

u got a virus that ur computer cant see