TRD Supercharger on a Toyota 4Runner?

I have a toyota 4runner with a TRD supercharger. Never owned or really drove a 4Runner before mine, and I'm wondering if the TRD Supercharger really makes a difference at all, or if I'd be better off removing it to save money on gas, since the supercharger only runs on premium and decreases mileage a little.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

the TRD superchargers were not factory installations - they were low boost aftermarket superchargers.

They can be removed and the engine re mapped to change fuel management.

But for what - most people want added preformance not reduced performance....and it really is not costing you much in terms of mileage (it uses almost nothing unless you put the "loud" pedal on the floorboard). So really is only difference between cost of premium and regular gas - and yes you do need high octane.

Anyway, this is a fine piece of engine enhancement - use it once and awhile (not all the time...) enjoy it, you have about 70hp over stock when your supercharger kicks in - likely a lot of Toyota owners would kill for that..

regards

Source(s): fan of forced induction (owner past and present of supercharged cars)
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

TRD Supercharger on a Toyota 4Runner?

I have a toyota 4runner with a TRD supercharger. Never owned or really drove a 4Runner before mine, and I'm wondering if the TRD Supercharger really makes a difference at all, or if I'd be better off removing it to save money on gas, since the supercharger only runs on premium and decreases...

Source(s): trd supercharger toyota 4runner: https://biturl.im/Lrpm3
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They make TRD Supercharged 4runners???

thats Coool

I own a 04 Tacoma Sport Supercharged

and No it doesnt waste gas unless u got the V8 4runner

I have a v6 and unless I floor it it wont waste gas

Pros"

Faster than a stock 1

accelaration 10X faster

Race ppl with turbos n a HIGH chance of winning specially when they dont know it supercharged lol

ull waste more money taking it off then should have bought a 4runner with out 1

keep it add fuel adhesives and enjoy not that many toyotas come superc unless u special order it

Source(s): Own a 04 Supercharged Tacoma!
  • 1 decade ago

YES a supercharger de-installation is not difficult - but best done at a performance shop as your engine's management system will have to be re tuned (primarily to retard ignition).

unlike a turbo installation a supercharger installation is actually quite easily accomplished (especially a mild installation one like the "TRD's").

Yes you definitely need high octane in the event you engage the supercharger-but in terms of mileage, the supercharger is basically a passive system, in other words, unless you engage it (at WOT - wide open throttle, you get the same basic mileage as stock engine).

So price out the cost of the de-install and really see if its worthwhile....giving up a supercharger is giving up a big power advantage.....(and plus $3000 performance part, without installation labor).

want to see if it makes a difference-get on the road and put the accelerator on the floor...........WOT....

and DO NOT LISTEN to answerer ERIC H as he has never obviously modified a car or owned a car with forced induction (turbo or supercharger). high octane does not make power - it prevents pre- ignition (it ignites at higher temperatures)....pre-ignition in a normal car may cause knocking, but in a supercharged car where much higher levels of heat are generated IF the supercharger is engaged at wide open throttle pre ignition can result in a damaged piston or burnt rod.

cheers

Source(s): past rides:68 firebird (modified), 73 olds(modified) 89crxSi(modified), 95bmw318(modified) 01 mustang GT (modified) present ride: 04 cobra, built out , modified-supercharged , whipple blower at 15p.s.i, measured on dyno at 575rwHP http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.p...
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The entire fuel and ignition mapping done by the computer relies on that silly gimmick of a supercharger strapped to that tiny little engine. Leave it alone. Your performance will drop off the map and it'll get horrible mileage. Without the supercharger forcing air into the intake, the engine alone would have to suck air through the supercharger housing. It simply will not work.

• 3 years ago

4runner Supercharger

• 4 years ago

the S/C yes, but leave the intake off, i had a 98 tacoma 4wd and had both, the intake filter kept coming off and everything was tight. yeah it sounded good when you got on it, but the "whine" from the TRD s/c was the best. and yes you need to run 91 or higher, but when i got rid of the truck i pulled the s/c off, MAN what a different truck that was, felt slow. the "bugs" TRD had with them is all worked out, mine was a 1st gen unit(gray) new units(2nd gen) went black. would also get the auto tensioner if you install the TRD unit. good luck with your choice.

• eric h
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yeah and do some research i hear alot of those cars that say premium only arent really neccessarily premium only, altho like i said do some research first

• G6er
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I second joe's opinion

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.