Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 decade ago

why are there school?

is a point to it?

If there was no school we wouldn't know how to do anything. The people that made our computers, phones and TV, they all most likely went to school. If we didn't have school then no one would know how to read or write. Honestly, the world would be a terrible place without education. I don't like school either but I know that I have to go through it if I want to become something in life.

• Chidiebube2 years agoReport

But bill gates and steve jobs were high school dropouts. ExplAIN THST

School is a place people like you need to go.

Education builds up this society. The jobs we do benefit not only us(money)but they benefit others, such as doctors, scientist, and technicians. If we(the people)got to do whatever we wanted society would break. We would die from starvation and sickness and no one would KNOW what to do.Heard the term knowledge is power?Knowledge is not only power, but it keeps us in line.It teaches us right from wrong. Now let's talk about power. Power isn't something that only one person can take, It has to be divided amongst everyone, or people will go chaotic. Go back to that old saying Knowledge is Power. Knowledge is the same as power. Knowledge isn't something that one person can have. One simply can not take in all the knowledge in the world. It has to be divided amongst the people. We can't expect one person to do everything for us, while everybody else has fun. So as a society we split up into what were best capable of, doctors, farmers, investors, and we help each other.

Source(s): I'm Asian

There are school because

Sometime there are school because you don t knows how the thing work. Maybe you doesn t know why the sky light bulb be hide away at night. Maybe you doesn t know where babies come for. So we are go to schools to knows the things we don t knows sometime.

There are school because that's not how you say there IS school...

• Good question.

I find I have used almost nothing I learnt at school, past the first couple of years of primary school anyway. I hardly ever multiply or divide anything except with a calculator.

Other than basic arithmetic, literacy is good but I learnt to read by reading and to write by writing, which I could have done even if I did not go to school.

I think that it is in your sub question "is a point to it" lies the nub. There is no point to learning the stuff that we are taught at school, but that is precisely the point, because there is little point to most of things that we do in our lives.

Most of us do jobs which are essentially pointless to the individual that is doing them. They don't involve getting food, sex, or being creative. A lot of them are backroom or soilatry and don't even get love in the form of a thank you or smile. But in order to become a cog in an organsation, and get paid, we need to get used to doing pointless things.

Schools teach us to like learning the Kings and Queens of England or the Presidents of the United States, the periodic table, and trigonometry, and other pointless things, because the majority of social life is pointless, and people who can do pointless things enthusiastically are highly valuable as members of society.

As well as to enjoy or endure pointlessness, school teaches us other things too, such as to respect the content of books, routives and authority. See Ivan Illich and others who write about "The Hidden Curriculum," which "consists of those things pupils learn through the experience of attending school rather than the stated educational objectives of such institutions" (Haralambos).

I have been thinking about 'the hidden curriculum' since I was a rebellious child but it was a Japanese teacher at the University of Newcastle who shared with me the true horror of the hidden curriculum - the point is pointlessness - and he became pathologically depressed shortly thereafter. Dangerous wisdom?

• Yuminesca4 years agoReport

Do you really think building bridges, studying medicine, creating gadgets and computers, manufacturing goods, entertaining society, and creating an organized life where everyone can live with a purpose is all... pointless?

That's why

There is school for making our lives miserable.

School isn't only about grammar and such. Idiots. Quit attempting to be hilarious by making fun of op's grammar.

Anyways, in my opinion, school just prepares you for college, which prepares you for your job.