What is the difference between Bibles?

I have not read the Bible went to go buy one what is the difference between old testament and new . there are so many can someone explain?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Before you buy one you might want to read a little of the different Bibles first. That way you can find the one you like with out spending any money. This site http://www.BibleGateWay.com has many different Bible translations that you can read for free online. Its best to go though them & see which ones you like. Then make up your own mind about which one is for you. I use several transitions my favorite two would be the RSV-CE & the NKJV . The Revised Standard Bible Catholic Edition is a nice Bible, but it sometimes uses old English which many people don't like. The NEW King James version is pretty easy to read & very poetic at times & doesn't use any old English.

The old testament was written before Jesus was born, it contains a lot of history, poetry, prayers, prophecies & the the laws that God gave the Jews.

The News Testament was written after Jesus' death. The first 4 books of the New Testament Mathew, Mark,Luke & John tell about the life, death & Resurrection of Jesus. These books are the best books to read if your new to the Bible. (John is my favorite one)

The other books of the New testament are letters from Peter, Paul, John ,etc.

Source(s): Hope this helps
  • 1 decade ago

The "Old Testament" is actually the Jewish scriptures, adopted by Christians who regard themselves as the "fulfillment" of Judaism. It's all explained in their own scriptures, naturally called the "New Testament". Jews reject Christianity and its "New Testament". claiming that their own scriptures are misinterpreted by Christians. Still, it is essentially the same text, so if you get a Christian Bible, you will have both scriptures. Or you can get a "Tanakh" and a "New Testament" so there is no question of "interpretation".

There are a great many versions of "Christian" Bibles, more or less the same except for translation choices. Among Christians there is some dispute over sources. One school advocates a later source that has a handful of extra verses. Another stands by an older source with slightly fewer verses, but the difference is negligible. If this is your first exposure, pick a version that is easy to read and understand.

The King James and New King James are based on the later source, quite literal but suffer from archaic language. The American Standard and New American Standard are also very literal and somewhat easier to read. The Revised Standard Version, New Revised Standard, New International Version and the (Catholic) New American and New Jerusalem bibles are a balance of literalism and sense-based translation. The Contemporary English Version is less precise but very easy to read and understand. The New Living Bible and The Message are paraphrases that communicate the ideas of the Bible very well but do not attempt to match wording and phrasing with the original text.

• 1 decade ago

Old Testament is Before Christ & the New Testament is after Christ's Birth.

New King James Version Bible is the best

• Catie
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The old and new testament make up the whole bible. There are many differnt "Versions" if you will that just use plainer english but say the same thing. I personally like the New King James Version Study Bible. It is great

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

The wording is different but MEANS the same as the original transcripts, unlike the King James Version, and I don't believe i ever heard of the King John version and there are several types of Bibles.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the old testament is the history of Israel and the time before Jesus' birth

the new testament is a record of his birth and life and the start of the christian church. the two together makes the bible they are one bible you can bye them separately but neither is the bible on its own.

the new testament contains the Gospels matthew mark luke and John which you can also buy separately.

• 1 decade ago

The Old Testament and the New being a witness to one another.

The OT is our schoolmaster. It also foreshadows things to come. In fact, if you know the Word well enough, you can almost teach all of the NT from the OT.

For example, there is more written in Ezekiel about The Lord’s Day (Millennium), starting at Chapter 40 and to the end of the book, than is written about it in Revelation.

It’s also interesting that most of the NT is history today, while most of the OT remains prophecy, yet future, to this final generation.

* The OT tells us more of the end times, our generation, then all the NT.

* The NT only documents the OT

* It is written in the OT and fulfilled in the NT

* The OT is a foundation for the NT.

It’s almost impossible to understand the New Testament without a working knowledge of the Old Testament. They both go to make up the whole plan of God, and the keys of our generation are mostly given in the Old Testament.

Edit:

Here's some more info. for your consideration:

Sin = transgression of the law.

Grace = repent and be forgiven for sin.

God’s law is still valid for Christians. Here’s what Christ had to say about it:

Matthew Chapter 5:17-18

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

The "jot and the tittle" are the little marks that change the sound of a letter, and Christ said that He won't change the sound of one letter in the entire Word of God.

Luke Chapter 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

The ten commandments are a guide for our lives, and are just as true today as they were in Moses’ day. They are part of the Law. When Christ came, he fulfilled all of the ordinances in that law that pertained to blood sacrifice and ritual. Christ became that true sacrifice for one and all times.

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

The ten commandments are the law, and it says, "Thou shalt do no murder". What they are saying then is that since Jesus Christ came it is alright to do murder, and that is not so.

“Jesus established a New Covenant. This does not replace the Old Covenant, but completes it.”

We have the law of freedom through grace. You are not under the law because the law doesn't exist, because it does still exist. It is still illegal to steal, to murder another, to bow to idols, and so forth

Romans 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

• 1 decade ago

the old testament is mostly just stories, and the new testament is more the things you should follow. Is easier to start reading the new testament first and then move onto the old testament. And NIV version is the easiest to understand.

• 1 decade ago

The New Revised Standard Version is approved by more major religious organizations than any other, is quite accurate and easy to read, as easy to read as any Bible translation can be. Most modern translations are good, but old ones such as the King James have known flaws that have not been corrected.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The old testament is a rollicking action story with lots of blood, guts, genocide, rape, incest, murder and belongs in the Action/Adventure section. The new testament is much more touchy/feely and belongs in the New Age section. I don't consider the new testament to be a true sequel to the old as they were written by different people under the same pen name 'God'.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.