BorderCollie asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Mental Stimulation For 8 Week Old BC Pup?

I have a border collie puppy who is eight weeks old. She has a puppy pack and a little chew toy, and I am going to buy some Kong toys for her for when I am away which will be for at the most 3 1/2 hours. She will be kept inside her cage with her toys (not all of them though). When I return, I will take her out on a walk for about 2-3hours when she has had all her injections. (Vet appointment next week) At weekends I will be out probably all day with her. I will begin training early as it is essential for her breed. And this upcoming week, I have time off so I will be with her every day all day because I have only just goten her. Any suggestions for mental stimulation for her are all welcome?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Teach basic obedience to start with. This can be done in the house and your garden until she has had her jabs. Sit, down, come (when called) etc. Get her used to having a collar and lead on and begin to work on the heel command in your garden. Teach some tricks such as shake a paw, give kisses, cuddles, high fives etc. Play sniff and find games with her by hiding a treat under a plastic cup and add another couple of cups with no treat. When she sniffs out the treat she gets it. Use lots and lots of praise, make the treats really yummy ones - sausage/liver/cheese etc (only use tiny pieces though) and don't be stingy with them. Train for 5 mins or so every hour unless she is sleeping, and increase the training tiome as she gets older. Always finish the training session before she gets tired/bored and on a positive note giving her a 'jackpot' of treats ( 6 or so treats at once) at the time. Do not over walk her at this point, on average puppies require about 5 mins lead exercise for every month of age then they need to rest. I would give her 10 mins am, then rest her and give mental stimulation throughout the day (which will really tire her out in itself at this stage), then 10 mins in the evening.)

Hope this helps and remember to have lots of fun with your new furry friend.

Source(s): Life long dog owner
  • Jen
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Woohoo!!!! BC's are awesome dogs!!

Here's an article you can read. Your pup might be a little old for some of it, but it's good for learning.

http://www.breedingbetterdogs.com/achiever.html

Pups need to be exposed to as many sights and sounds as possible as they're growing up. The more, the better. Even these 8 weeks old puppies have a high capacity to learn. Start now with teaching sits, downs, fetches, find me and look at me games. Use treats and lots and lots and lots of loving, touching, gentle voice praise with your pup.

And most of all - HAVE FUN. They're puppies for such a short time. Enjoy it!

• 1 decade ago

Lay and sit on the floor and play with puppy! Drag toys on floor for her to pounce on them. Play gentle tug, very little pressure..and gradually teach her to let go when you ask. Rolling balls on floor. Can run around the yard dragging a rope or such to get her to follow you.

Later, when older teach her to catch soft squeeky ball when thrown.

Do look into obedience classes as these will be great for socialization and quality time for both of you.

Agility is GREAT fun and just what is ordered for a BC if they have no sheep!

• 1 decade ago

Toys and walks and games and soft training is good, but don't forget the very important stimulation of being with other dogs! Find her nice play mates that you can meet with regularly so that she gets the necessary education in polite behavior around other furry pals.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Training classes and agility would be good.

By the way don't overdo the exercise while she is so young. Two to three hours at a time is far too much. Little and often with lots of rest in between would be much better.

• Justin
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Before you spend more money on expensive dog trainers or products watch this video first http://OnlineDogTraining.enle.info/?dGU6

is all depends on how involved you get with the training as well. A good dog training can retrain or teach most any dogs to behave for them - however unless you yourself take part of the training, establish your hierarchy and rank in your household, the dog may obey the commands of the trainer, and ignore yours as soon as the trainer leaves.

There is something called a pack order in dog behavior, and right now - your dog seems to outrank you. Get her respect, her immediate obedience at all times, and you will solve her problematic behavior, trainer or not. It requires for you to get up and come out of your comfort zone, go back to basic training and for you to actually work the dog and stay on top of her behavior at all time, until your training issue is resolved. This is at times hard to explain - for some folks it must be seen and visualized to be understood.

You need to also understand that some things the trainer may do or suggest, may well go against your grain and may make you feel bad or like you're mean to your dog. Not so the dog though, dogs live for an ordered life, for someone who is in charge, and if that someone is missing, they often feel they need to step in and take over.

F.e. when she nips or growls at visitors - in her mind she puts them into their place, establishes territory and dominance [since in her book you are apparently not], and then she is fine with them. This is totally normal dog behavior if another dog would come to visit, a bit rough housing and posturing in a basically good natured dog, and when the visiting dog acknowledges the higher rank of the "home team", they hang out and play, might peacefully share toys or treats - as long as the ranking order is kept in tact. You can start an immediate dog fight by showing preferred treatment to the underdog and "dizzing" the top ranking dog.

If you're not familiar with the inner workings of dogs in general, a dog trainer may well be your best choice of getting on top of your girls' issues. See if you cannot negotiate price with the trainer, or at least pay for one or two lessons, have her show you how to train your dog and then go from there... If you feel you need more time with the trainer afterwards, you can always decide later on.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

mm, pups need to chew, and they love to razz stuff, so, tie some old socks in a knot, and stand back and watch the fun...

also get it a chunk of hard wood, like mahogany or oak... pine is too soft and becomes matchsticks before your eyes...

puppies love to play, and the mad half hour before bedtime is very amusing... ours did a 90mph circuit of the furniture, before crashig out in front of the fire, curled up with the cats...

• 1 decade ago

teaching it tricks would be good fun like high five play dead and roll over

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.