Native American genocide?

Should the purging of the Native Americans in north America from the 15-19th centuries be classed as genocide?

• Salish
    Favorite Answer

Yes. But the dates are wrong. It still occures today. Obama is the only politition I have ever heard of questioning why the U.S. government moved thousands of NAvajos onto radio-active property no more than two decades ago, or why the majority of U.S. oil refineries are located on or very near to Native American Reservations (hense high birth defect rates, miscarrages and cancer), or why native american women as recently as the 1980's had their uterouses removed without consent after giving birth, or why inadequate doctors and dentists are hired by the BIA and placed on reservations where they do more harm than good, or why as recently as four years ago dozens of tribes lost federal recognition and their land taken from them and forced now to check the "other" box rather than "native american" on surveys asking for ethnic origin.

Edit: Read Chedva's answer, then study up on current events in Indian Country. You'll see plenty of evidense that the deliberate erradication of Native Americans is still in play.

Source(s): It may not be via artillery anymore, but its still going on. I voted for Obama because he is the only politition who openly discussed these things. McCain does this to some degree (moreso than HIllary actually) but not to the extent Obama does.

Like some said there is genocide of the white race. But his answer was censored by liberals with an agenda of not letting other voices get heard. Yes of course I believe the Native American gneocide should be recognized too. >>>Absolutely, the government apologized to black people for slavery and segregation. Excuse you? The Irish were in slavery too(NOT "indentured servants"). Look it up. How dare you seclude just black people. Google "black slave owners". There WERE a significant amount of free black slave owners AND Native American slave owners. It wasn't always a white-on-black thing. I'm TIRED of people ignorance about slavery, as if it was only on black people and only black people were the victim. No, some were the slave owners themselves.

Yes it should.

And on the mention of Obama. Here is an article that was passed onto me that I wanted to share with everyone:

Michelle Obama praises Interior employees in visit

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - First lady Michelle Obama has been honored at the Interior Department, and in turn she praised the agency's employees.

Department officials presented her Monday with a traditional native American shawl, recognition for a woman of high achievement. The Black Bear singers performed a song in her honor.

The first lady praised department employees, saying they would be critical to the new administration's priorities. She also hailed their work in natural resources protection, saying it was important for family activities such as hiking and camping.

She told those working with native Americans that her husband, President Barack Obama, will appoint a senior policy adviser in the White House to work with them.

The first lady is visiting various government departments. She visited Housing and Urban Development and the Education Department last week.

Source(s): to whoever thumb downed me...my answer to you is....WHATEVER!!!

Yes, the persecution of the Native Americans should most defiantly be considered genocide.

Genocide-any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

Here's some info. on Native American history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_t...

Absolutely. If someone disagrees, I'd like to know in what way it differs from a genocide.

It should differently be consider a Genocide.

In my opinion - absolutely. There were directives given to intentionally eliminate a population by both obvious and subversive means that continued even into the 20th century.

...I gave thumbs up to anyone who said GENOCIDE!

What makes you think that anything done to my people was anything else but? Your crazy.

Yes, because it was precisely genocide.

ABSO F*CKIN LUTELY

What we did is a travesty...which is perpetuated everyday in America

Silly fart you are a douche bag and a fake