Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Which major US city has the best equipped FIRE DEPARTMENT?

Update:

I ask because the Boston Fire D is getting real bad reports lately...

Update 2:

The media is reporting faulty vehicles...

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Raven
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That's a very difficult question to answer. Best could mean most money, most equipment, most personnel, shortest response time, lowest losses of life or property, best ISO rating...what exactly is it you're looking for?

Every city has different needs, so it's hard to say.

Ah yes, the Boston FD's vehicle issues. The problems there are stemming from various causes - the vehicles are not entirely appropriate for their current usage (due to changes in vehicle safety and design and new construction techniques), there are allegations of them being built incorrectly, not maintained properly, not replaced or refurbished when they should have been (due to budgetary issues and so on)...there are a lot of underlying causes to their current issues. I believe there may be some good articles on these issues at firehouse.com - they're usually up on that kind of thing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i'll take a wild stab at it! i'm going with bigger is better in this case. fire fighting is all about having the funding for equipment, and the manpower to operate same. large metro area certainly get the lion's share of the funds, and a full time, well trained fire department. NYC did a remarkable job during 911, don't think that response would have possible in most other cities. regretfully, too many of them died! i don't know if there's any way to rate them within that profession.

• 1 decade ago

Los Angeles

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.