My dog just started going potty in the house?

I recently adopted a lab / pit bull mix from my local animal shelter. She was 6 mo. old at the time. When we first got her, she was pooping when we were gone, so we crate trained her. Then, she was pooping upstairs when we were home. We gated off the upstairs. She seemed fine for a couple of weeks, but then for the last 3 days she has been going to the bathroom in the house ALL the time. I don't know what's going on. She first pooped inside right after I took her out three days ago, I assume because it was raining and she didn't want to be outside. Then, she's been peeing inside for two days. Once, she even did it all over one of our sofas. Any advice (other than kill / get rid of the dog) would be appreciated.

I do take her out regularly - every hour or so, not more than three hours inbetween. I've been told that a dog should be able to hold its bladder 1 hour for every month it is old up to 8 months. I know she CAN go two or three hours, since she did it for a few weeks. I don't know why people assume I just don't take her out. I said she has done it right after she came back inside.

• tbug
    Favorite Answer

It is not fair to expect any animal to hold their waist all day long. If you have a secure yard that is your solution. If you have a family member home during the day then she needs to be taken out doors many times. Once or twice a day for a young pup is not the answer. If you don't have a fenced yard she can be in I would rethink owning a dog.

Have her go outside frequently. If your not home all day then right before you leave and right away when you get home she'll need to be let out. Potty training is long and a difficult process no matter how many owners say their dog was potty trained in one day. Just work with her and reward her when she goes outside.

• iLOVE

Make sure she goes outside every few hours to go potty?