Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Orthodox and Roman Catholic?

How do Roman Catholics and Orthodox Christians worship differently??

Help!!

Libby x

Favorite Answer

The liturgical traditions of the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches are very similar. Both celebrate Mass and both believe in the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

I have attended both Ukrainian Orthodox and Roman Catholic services. Some of the prayers of the Mass and the order in which things are said are different. For example, during the liturgy of the Eucharist, when the bread and wine are consecrated, the invocation of the Holy Spirit follows the words of institution in the Ukrainian Orthodox service. The invocation of the Holy Spirit always precedes the words of institution in the Roman Catholic service. Ironically, the Orthodox service in many ways follows the structure of the traditional Catholic Latin Mass more closely than the English language version of the Roman missal. There is also more of an emphasis on Mary found in the Orthodox liturgy.

Are you confident you probably did no longer ask this with a view to get a rant from Zena E.I in basic terms the day previously at present examine 2 diverse Greek Orthodox web pages explaining there ideals. After examining them there is not any doubt and any guy or woman who reads there website and teachings might agree Zena E is an intensive. the diversities got here approximately extra over use of there respective languages and lifestyle than genuine theological differences. yet there are differences tho generally minor and could be over come and if the two large church homes have been to be one returned there is not any serious distinction that could regulate the certainty of the two. right that's one occasion they the Orthodox do no longer instruct in a Purgatory as Catholics comprehend it yet they do instruct that one ought to wish for the lifeless even those in Hell to make there time extra tolerable till the final Judgment. Catholics instruct Purgatory is the place those nevertheless unworthy of Gods presence and nevertheless have the stains of sin to pay for gain this in Purgatory which Paul describes because of the fact the hearth of purification and we Catholics are to wish to make there time there much less complicated or able to go away it quicker. that's called between the two as comparable differences.yet another minor distinction is a Orthodox Priest can substitute right into a married Priest if Married previously turning out to be a member of the priest hood yet as quickly as a clergyman ought to stay Celibate and there Bishops must be Celibate,the Catholic Church self-discipline is what all of us be responsive to interior the western international as strictly a Celibate Priesthood different than specifically circumstances which includes a Married Lutheran Pastor Joins the Catholic Church and is common into the Priesthood. additionally interior the Orthodox Church while a baby is Baptized they are immersed thrice and are shown on the Baptism,the Catholic Church Baptism would nicely be the two via immersion or pouring and oftentimes via pouring and confirmation comes at a later age after training interior the religion. the two have valid hundreds and Priesthood. We evaluate the Pope to be head of Christ Church they instruct he's in primacy yet purely first between equals. So opposite to Zena E and her anti Catholic rants the Patriarch of the Greek Orthodox and the Pope have been working at the same time for unification yet taking it slowly with a view to iron accessible differences with truthful understanding. i'm hoping this helps you be responsive to how fairly little differences there are between the two.

The worship isn't a whole lot different. The biggest difference between the two is the Papacy. Catholics follow a pope, Orthodox don't.

well it is really close, its just that Catholics( im a Catholic) really acknowlige the Virgin Mary, as she was born without Original Sin. But other religions dont say the Hail Mary, or pray with a precious Rosary.

I'm told that Catholics take things more literally. When Jesus said "This wine will represent my blood, this bread will represent my body" they took it literally. Catholics have many false teachings. Purgatory is not mentioned in the bible. Catholics believe that Mary is the spiritual mother of all men, when it is not mentioned in the bible. Catholics believe that you need to work to get into heaven, doing good deeds. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life". He did not say "I will be the way, the truth and the life if you believe there is Purgatory, when I didn't mention it". Only follow his rules and love Jesus, God, and the holy spirit.

And well, Orthodox's believe: http://www.protomartyr.org/believe.html

Note: I am not saying anyone is to be damned to hell. Orthodox's and Catholics all accept Jesus, meaning they will go to heaven and follow all the rules.

I don't know for a fact, but I assume that their worship styles would be very similar. Other than that, I do not know.

Roman Catholics believe our Eucharist is the living, risen Jesus. We also believe in the veneration of Mary, the mother of Jesus. She is highly esteemed and honored, but not worshiped. She is a creation of God and is infinitely less than Him:

http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/rosary/how...

The fifteen promises of Mary to Christians who recite the rosary:

1. Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary shall receive signal graces.

2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.

3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against Hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.

4. It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.

5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.

6. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries, shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just, he shall remain in the grace of God and become worthy of eternal life.

7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.

8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death, they shall participate in the merits of the saints in Paradise.

9. I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.

10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.

11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.

12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.

13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire Celestial Court during their life and at the hour of death.

14. All who recite the Rosary are my sons, and brothers of my only Son, Jesus Christ.

15. Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.

Our Lady has 117 titles. She selected this title at Fatima: "I am the Lady of the Rosary."

St. Francis de Sales said the greatest method of praying IS- Pray the Rosary.

St. Thomas Aquinas preached 40 straight days in Rome, Italy on just the Hail Mary.

St. John Vianney, patron of priests, was seldom seen without a rosary in his hand.

"The rosary is the scourge of the devil" -- Pope Adrian VI

"The rosary is a treasure of graces" -- Pope Paul V

Padre Pio, the stigmatic priest, said: "The Rosary is THE WEAPON"

Pope Leo XIII wrote 9 encyclicals on the rosary.

Pope John XXIII spoke 38 times about Our Lady and the Rosary. He prayed 15 decades daily.

St. Louis Marie Grignion de Montfort wrote: "The rosary is the most powerful weapon to touch the Heart of Jesus, Our Redeemer, who so loves His Mother."

Pope Pius XII: “There is no surer means of calling down God’s blessings upon the family…than the daily recitation of the Rosary.”

Pope Pius XII: “The Rosary is the compendium of the entire Gospel.”

Source(s): I am Catholic. I am not sure how Orthodox Christians worship.