VcVincanity asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Breaking News: Must read for all Yankee fans?

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman announced today that the club has agreed to a 5-year, $125 million contract with slugging first baseman Ryan Howard. Howard will report to the Yankees in three years.

Having already gone on a spending spree of nearly half a billion dollars this offseason, the Yankees dipped into their endless coffers once more to come to terms with the current Phillie.

Howard will finish out his tenure in Philadelphia on a series of one-year contracts because of the team’s unwillingness to offer anything long-term.

As Cashman explains it, “Here’s a guy who brings huge power to our lineup and will be a perfect DH for us. We will be very pleased to have him in pinstripes three years from now when the Phillies can no longer afford him.”

After making $10 million in 2008 and asking for $18 million in arbitration this season, Howard’s salary figures to jump even higher in coming seasons, making it a good move for the Yankees to lock him in now at the rate of $25 million per year.

Senior Vice President Hank Steinbrenner had high praise for Howard. “Ryan Howard has been a Rookie of the Year, an MVP, and now a World Series champion. And he may even help Philadelphia to another championship or two before he becomes Yankees' property”.

“He’s a real winner. And that makes him a true Yankee”.

Howard himself had mixed emotions, but was looking forward to a new opportunity. “Philadelphia is where I broke into the league. It will always be a special place to me, and it’s a little bittersweet knowing that I only have three more years left to play here.”

“But I know that I’ll love it in New York. Great fans. Great history. I’ll be proud to be a Yankee when 2012 comes.”

Asked why he chose the Yankees’ offer over a nearly identical one from the Red Sox, Howard explained, “I’m not getting any younger. And in three years I’ll certainly be older. I just don’t think the Red Sox will be close to winning three years from now. I have to focus on the future, not the present”.

The Yankees may continue to stock up even more in the coming weeks, as they reportedly still have offers on the table for a dozen other players still under contract with other teams.

I got this article by typing in yankees and Ryan Howard go down a drop and you'll see it do you belive this?

Favorite Answer

Nice ESPN Should sign you...

Source(s): this is not intended to exploit or harm minors, be violent, racist, incendiary, or otherwise objectionable, violate federal, state or local law, include profane, obscene, vulgar or sexually explicit language, glorify anorexia, bulimia, or the loss of weight to levels that are clearly unhealthy. This answer is my opinion

Simple enough really, and i don't hate the Yankees. BUT, does money really buy championships i think you can look at the past several years of the Yankees Dynasty and say no, look what the signings of Bobby Abreu, Jason Giambi, Gary Shefield, David Wells and other high priced free agents have gotten them? it has been since 2000 i believe since the Great NY Yankees took home the Grand Prize. So now they begin a new era with the likes of Sabathia, Burnett, Texiera and in 2012 Howard, only the future knows.

Kinda random considering they just got Mark Texiera who is still pretty young. Howard is definately going to be the DH for the Yanks but I think this signing was a bit random.

• Joel

He signed a 3 year deal with the Phillies for $54 million recently. You're just wishing!

Hey Lexie Baker, who won the World Series between the Dodgers and Yankees last time they faced? LOL Go Blue!

that would never happen u are stupid the yankees gm should go to jail for spending too much money the yankees r losers i hope the yankees finish in last place

Love it. Yes, the Yanks, or more appropriately, the Evil Empire, use MLB like their AAA team. I've two words to save the future of the sport: Salary Cap. Until then, all hope is lost.

Heh. Funny. Though it'd have been funnier if published before Howard signed his 3-year, $54M deal.

And they still won't go to the World Series.

It was intended to be a joke, and there is a certain amount of humor to it.