Tempering chocolate!? Help :(?

I'm a total newbie when it comes to chocolate, but took on a great challenge this year- Remolding chocolate for valentine's day. *gasp* So i read up on tempering, was sure I got it right, but bought some cheap (Hershey's) chocolate to give it a try before handling the more expensive... show more I'm a total newbie when it comes to chocolate, but took on a great challenge this year-

Remolding chocolate for valentine's day.

*gasp*

So i read up on tempering, was sure I got it right, but bought some cheap (Hershey's) chocolate to give it a try before handling the more expensive chocolate.

I put it in a double boiler after the water was gently simmering, stirred continuously..

The chocolate melted, but was extremely, extremely dry.

I was tempted to add water, but the chocolate guide warned to NEVER let chocolate make any contact whatsoever with water. (unless it's introduced together right at the beginning, which it wasn't)

So in the end, fed up, I dumped the load of cheap chocolate away, and tried again with a new pack of Hershey's.
Same thing.

What am I doing wrong?!

Am very worried as I'd spent a fair bit on the good chocolate..

Help!! :(