Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

Things you can do to speed up the healing process during a cold?

Assuming it's not a virus.

And what are some things that may be sabotaging you?

Don't thumb down Emma :'(

Favorite Answer

None (pharmacologically), it is a virus and there's no cheap, noninvasive, exogenous physiological intervention for to enhance recovery (being very honest). There are some drugs out there claiming to boost immunity but wonder why they never discuss the mechanism? well it's because it's quack (again, being very honest and protective of you and others thinking that they could somehow alter their body using sugar pills). just let it run its course. personally, i take warm showers whenever i'm sick (with chills or low grade fever but not in high grade fever of course) because the high body temperature enhances oxygen dissociation from hemoglobin thus improving oxygen delivery to peripheral tissues (this is a fact). this is helpful for your immune system which uses the oxygen to form superoxides to kill intracellular pathogens (viruses...) and help in white blood cell proliferation.

Source(s): med student and i have not gotten sick for years despite being around sick people
  • Smiley

Well...for me, my colds tend to start in the back of my throat. Sometimes I'll sense the onset of a cold when I wake up in the wee hours of the morning (3am-ish), and notice a scratchy feeling at the back of my throat.

As we all know, the nose, ears and throat are all connected, and the chance of this bacteria spreading from my throat to those other areas is pretty good, unless I take some precautionary measures.

What I tend to do at the second I notice this irritation in my throat is this:

Fill a coffee mug with a bit of water, and add some salt to it. I've never really measured how much, but a half teaspoon should be enough for a coffee mug one third full of water. Then stir it, and heat it in the microwave just before it's boiling point. Give it another stir...put it to your lips and test it to be sure it's not scalding. Now gargle for several minutes, repeating this process. If the salt/water mixture cools down...then just heat it again. When gargling, try to stick your tongue out a little ways, to ensure the salt water reaches the back of your throat and tongue. I usually repeat this process 5 or 6 times for about 10 minutes...and 9 times out of 10 I'm able to ward of a cold before it takes hold. This has been my remedy for many years. If your cold has already gotten a grip, this procedure will work also by destroying bacteria, and helping prevent the spread to other areas I've mentioned.

For me...the hotter the water the better.

I'm also a fan of Listerine mouth wash...and gargling with this stuff can be just as effective as my salt water treatment.

Edit - Beatle...I agree...I've never had a flu shot either, though the company that I work for offers them. One fellow was getting it every year since 2001, then he refused it last year. He was sick at least a dozen times, and in the hospital twice. The reason being, that his body had to re-adjust, and learn how to defend itself naturally all over again.

It seems many people these days who aren't in a "high risk" category are opting for the flu shot. It's also a big money game, and the pharmacutical companies prosper...by misleading millions into thinking it's something we all need.

I tend to think that persons who are not in that "high risk" category should let their bodies defense/immune systems do what they've been programmed to do throughout our evolutionary process...at some point in time various strains of influenza will mutate, and render the current vaccinations useless. I can only hope that their bodies natural defense mechanisms will remember, and respond accordingly.

All colds are caused by a virus, FACT.

There is no proven way to speed up the healing process, your body's immune system has to fight the infection by creating antibodies. A cold usually last from 1-3 weeks.

The best thing to do is try to prevent from getting the cold to begin with.

You can do this by trying to stay away from people indoors as much as possible. Whenever you touch something that someone infected has touched you must wash your hands with hot water and soap! Just using anti-bacterial spray or wash will not remove the bacteria! When you touch something that is infected and put your hands near your face you will most likely get it. It is also proven that over 8 hours of sleep a day minimizes your chance of contacting a cold.

Source(s): I haven't had a cold in many years and have never taken a flu shot!
  • ms.

Lots and lots of fluids, more than a normal day. Avoid caffeine as a "fluid", it just dehydrates you. Avoid going out more than necessary and if you feel like you need to nap, do it. Keep taking daily vitamins and tylenol to help with soreness. Buy a bottle of saline nasal spray and spray out your sinuses with it a few times a day to keep the infected area as clean as possible.

You could be sabotaging yourself if you smoke (tobacco or grass), which just prolongs the healing process so try to lay off the cigs or pipe till you are completely better. Also, avoid alcohol and eat well.

Tons of fluids and vitamin C.

And eat foods that aren't "heavy" like meats and cheeses.... go soy :-)

And get lots of rest. Stay in and go to bed early... pretty basic stuff. Stay warm.

I'd say trying to maintain an active lifestyle may be a hindrance to getting better quickly. Go ahead and give yourself permission to just lay around the house for a few days after work/ school. "Baby" yourself.

old time remedies still work best! Home made chicken noodle soup ( with lots of onion and garlic) , a mug of hot lemon and honey water, and plenty of rest.

take air bourne

Source(s): Great minds think alike! 5 thumbs down?? LOL