iFreak
iFreak asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

The book TTYL? My 11 year old cousin is reading and i heard it has very mature things in it?(help!?

I heard there was very nasty mature stuff in that book, i don't want to make a big deal out of my cousin reading it unless i know if it's reall bad and what it is? Thanks! ;)

And for the boy in my answers, calm down, my cousin has no parental figures and she has a lot of problems at home! I was worryed if she read this she would rebel, shes a very sweet young girl, and i was looking out for her as a big sister would! I'm allowed to be worryed. Plus the fact she has a lack of parental guidence, so i feel i should help as much a possible! Thanks to all of the other answers :)

Favorite Answer

That book is NOT appropriate for an 11 year old and other books in the same series are even worse. Those who start a series do tend to want to finish it.

Instead, try

Anne of Green Gables and sequels Lucy Maud Montgomery

Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke

Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull

A Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L'Engle

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Betsy Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace

Heidi by Johanna Spyri

Gulliver's Travels

A Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

anything by Roald Dahl

http://booksandmore4kids.googlepages.com

The books are contraversial for content that is considered mature. It is one of the most challenged books in the US in 2007. My suggestion is to read it yourself first. Don't go trying to pull a book out of your cousins hands based on something you heard. Judge the book from your standpoint then from that of an 11 year old.

---

Challenged at the William Floyd Middle School library in Mastic (NY) because the book includes "curse words, crude references to the male and female anatomy, sex acts and adult situations like drinking alcohol and flirtation with a teacher that almost goes too far." A spokesperson for the William Floyd School District said the book will remain in the library and that the book is very popular with students across the country. The spokesperson also said unlike many books that young people read, the book deals with controversial subjects without glorifying negative behaviors

There are some mature themes in the novel:

*One character goes to a party, gets drunk, and dances with no shirt on atop a table.

*There is some language issues. (I believe the a-word, the f-word, and possibly the b-word are all used)

On the positive side, the character who dances with no shirt on learns from her mistakes, and the act is not described in great length. Overall, I would get this book a PG-13 rating.

My advice: If your cousin is mature, let her read the novel. However, have sit down with her and discuss some of the mature themes so that she learns what is appropriate and what is not!

Source(s): I own the book and have read it many times!

its not too bad :P. Dont let her read L8rG8r tho until shes at least 13 because that one is a little strong. TTYL is practically harmless because theyre very vague about it and dont say too much C: hope this helps soothe your conscience ;).

Source(s): personal experience plus having read all the books and a bit of intell xD

This is a review by a 12 year old.

The second review says it is adult or young adult. To me that means 13. But read it first yourself.

TTYL has been banned in some middle schools because it discusses sex, pornography, drinking a romantic student-teacher relationship.

I read forever by judy blume when i was like 12!

talk about sexual lol.

i think its fine, its nice of you to be worried about her!

i havent read it myself, but maybe ask her to borrow it? to check it out, if its not a good book maybe plan to go to a bookstore one day and show her some good books!

good luck!

well, maddie gets drunk in it & does a striptease. then pictures of her naked are sent around the school. zoe almost has sex with her teacher too. i wouldn't let the kid read it, there's also a lot of underage drinking in it.

Source(s): read all 3 of them.

the teachers recommended that book to people in my old school when they were 13-14.. should be find

what does ttyl stand for? but no its ok i read mature books when i was younger