Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

I got a ticket for running a red light; can I take care of it without telling my parents?

I live in Southern California, and I'm sixteen. I just got a ticket for running a red light; can I go to traffic court by myself? I know that if I just pay it, my insurance might go up, and my insurance company may tell my parents. I've heard that for some traffic tickets, instead of paying the ticket you can go to traffic school (or take it online) and it won't go on your record, so insurance shouldn't go up. So, can I maybe go to traffic school or take it online, pay for that, without my parents ever finding out?

Best Answer

I had the same thing happen to me, if you qualify to go to traffic school, which you should be able to unless you have gone to traffic school in the 12 months prior to getting the ticket, it will not go on your record, your insurance won't go up, and your parents will never know. However you do need the money to pay for the ticket and the traffic school.

P.S. Stop on yellow from now on, it will save you money. I know, I got a $357 ticket in southern california for running a red light.

All of the options for paying the ticket and getting it off your record should have been explained to you at the time you got the ticket. If it wasn't than go down to the traffic bureau and ask questions. Taking care of the ticket on your own just so your parents do not know is not a responsible way to do it. You go through all of these steps to pay the ticket and if possible go to traffic school to get the points removed from your record. Keep in mind that there are limits to how many times and how often you can do that. Once all of these questions are answered and the process to pay the ticket is in motion then confess. It will show your parents that you own up to your mistakes and take care of them.

No matter what, you pay for the ticket AND extra money to do the deferment of the ticket and that is if the court allows it. Secondly, if you ask for a deferment, you basically sign a contract stating that you will not receive another traffic violation for a certain period of time and if you do, then the running the red light ticket and the most current one will then be added to your record. Since you are underage, you will have to have your parents with you.

There is no 'may' about the insurance company raising the price. They WILL and when your parents call to find out why, the insurnace agent will tell them.

You can either pay it outright, or go to court and tell it to the judge.

The judge may decide to allow you to take a traffic school class in lieu of paying the fine. The class costs as much as, if not more than, the fine, and takes a full day. You have to go there, sign in, and stay there all day. It's not fun, nor is it meant to be. And no, you can't do it on line (at least not in the world I live in). Successful completion of the class wipes the violation from your record. You may not do it more than once per year.

With all that's involved, you need to be an adult and admit to your parents that you screwed up. Trying to hide it only makes it worse when you finally do get caught. And you will get caught. So be an adult, deal with the courts like an adult, deal with your parents like an adult, pay the fine or take the class like an adult, and you will come out of this far more an adult than you went into it.

Source(s): Life 101

Danielle, your parents WILL see a big increase in their car ins, your 16 and a new driver. They may not find in on their bill but the agent will tell tell for sure. No way out of this, even paying the fine, you could maybehave to do traffic school and a suspended license for a while.

You don't have a clean record, this is your second offense and possibly, because of your first offense, he could be correct about having an adult driver with you. Licenses are probationary until you are 18 or 21, not sure now. Not much if anything you can do except pay it and start stopping at red lights.

Yeah just take the traffic school online or at the restaurant however you prefer and make sure to check the mail yourself because you will get letters regarding your traffic ticket...you can also pay the ticket online...in FL you can I dont know about SC..

I never got a ticket but if you have the money, can't you just pay it and go to court? Unless you're under aged, I doubt that you'll get away with it. Going through a red light isn't that big of a deal. Might as well just tell them.

You will more than likely not be able to get by this one without your parents knowing, your insurance company will be notified regardless if you take the class or not, and anytime there is a new claim against your plan they send out mail, e-mail or even a phone call. It would be better if you just told your parents, better for them to find out from you than from a random letter in the mail or phone call!!!!

In a lot of states you must go to court with a parent! If they allow you to pay it, they still may get a letter explaining the points you received for getting the ticket!