What does biweekly actually mean?

I always thought biweekly meant twice a week and when people mean every other week, they should say bimonthly. Bi meaning 2 or twice and then the time frame.

I looked this up online and the two definitions are: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/biweekly

1 : occurring twice a week

2 : occurring every two weeks : fortnightly

Pretty ambiguous right?

I've been told twice a week should be semi-weekly. What gives?

• Andrea
    Favorite Answer

It IS confusing, but it has been generally accepted to mean once every two weeks. I hope that helps!

The reason you don't have a girlfriend is because you're not comfortable with yourself. And no, I'm not talking about standing in front of the mirror and doing Stuart Smalley affirmations; I'm talking about owning your life. You might not want to hear this, but you're not special. Most 18-year-olds are insecure, unsure, and many have been convinced by way too much Shakespeare and stupid movies that their life is a tragedy and they'll never find true love. You need a better hairstyle, and you need to find a fun hobby that will put you in contact with all sorts of different kinds of people. OK, you're going to be a lawyer? Is that all you have going for you? Girls don't like one-dimensional people. I'm not saying pretend to be someone you're not. I'm saying BECOME the person you WANT to be. You want to be a lawyer, yes, who works hard, but you also want to learn how to cook. Or you want to be really good at tennis. It will take work. It will take time. The things worth doing in life usually do. You're eighteen. You have at least another 70 years if you don't waste them. Chop chop. As for the girls? The ones you've been chasing who are interested in muscles and deep voices? They're just as shallow as they seem. They're only interested in making other girls jealous. The ones you really want on your arm aren't whores, and well, the whores who look like the ones you do want? They'll charge way more than $200 "biweekly."

In the business and banking world biweekly is every two weeks, bimonthly is every two months and semi-weekly means twice a week. If you get a mortgage from your bank and the repayment terms are biweekly, you make a payment every two weeks.

I've always known it as every two weeks, like receiving your check biweekly instead of weekly.

But bi- is the word part for two, so I suppose it could go either way, but I believe most people use it as a term for every two weeks.

I get paid bi-weekly, or every other week. My friend gets paid semi-monthly, which means twice a month (15th and 30th). Twice a week would be semi-weekly.

My American Heritage Dictionary has these definitions:

biweekly - occuring once every 2 weeks

bimonthly - occuring " " months

biyearly - occuring " " years.

They have a note that says that these are not interchangeable