I have a plastic egg poacher for the microwave but forgot how to use it!?

Its a 2 egg poacher that goes in the microwave...but i lost the directions! i know im sposed to add some water but how much> how long do i put it in for? im dying for some poached eggs here! lol

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If I remember correctly, you put water to about half fill the cups, then microwave it till the water boils, then add the eggs and microwave for another 2 minutes. BUT... the amount of water really depends on the kind of microwave egg poacher you have. Some require only a couple of tablespoons of water. If you have any other way to boil water, you might be better off just poaching your eggs the "old fashioned way".

I read some reviews on the microwave poachers, the Nordic Ware 2-cup poacher seems to turn out hocky pucks.

Here are a few other techniques you can try...

White vinegar

Boiled water

Steps Boil water.

Pour water into a bowl (around a dessert sized bowl is ideal).

Add in a dash of white vinegar.

Stir water and crack egg into revolving water.

Place a lid/plate over the top of the bowl.

Microwave for approx. 80 seconds (this is on an average microwave).

Drain the egg out of water.

Alternate Method

Fill a mug 1/3 to 1/2 full with tap water.

Gently crack an egg into the mug, being careful not to break the yolk.

Place the mug in the microwave, and set it to run a minute on high power. Stay by the microwave.

Listen carefully. Very soon, you will hear a soft "popping" sound: This means the egg is done! Stop the microwave right away, or you will have a horribly overcooked egg!

Carefully (the mug may be hot!) remove the mug from the microwave. Use a soup or serving spoon to gently scoop your poached egg out.

Alternate Method 2

Place some plastic wrap in a cup.

Crack egg into the saran wrap and cover.

Continue as above. When the egg is ready, simply peel it out of the wrap. No mess!

Alternate Method 3

A certain unnamed fast food chain "poaches" their eggs for their famous egg muffin sandwich. Do it this way for perfect results.

Take a very small bowl with a narrow tapered bottom and spray it with cooking spray.

Crack the egg into the bowl, add a few drops of water, loosely cover it with a lid of some sort, and cook it on medium power for 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds. The steam produced from the heated egg and drops of water will poach your egg perfectly, and the spray cooking lubricant will make the egg slide right out. If you picked the correct sized bowl, the egg should fit perfectly on a toasted english muffin. Enjoy this simple method.

Tips

If the egg is too runny the first time you try, or too hard, alter the cooking time in microwave because different microwaves have different power outputs

To avoid sogginess, make sure you completely drain the cooked egg before using it

• 4 years ago

Microwave Egg Poacher Instructions

• 1 decade ago

I have read more and more that using anything plastic in a MW is not a good idea.

Heat seems to release dioxins from plastic and it transfers pretty easily to food. Dioxins are linked to many cancers.

Better to use glass dishes like pyrex, and other MW safe cookware.

Even covering food with plastic wrap creates the same problem- use a paper plate or paper towel.

There is increasing info on this all over- do some research- be healthier. OK enough preaching.

ANSWER TO QUESTION-

put a cup of water in a m/w safe shallow bowl w a teaspoon of vinegar in the water. Heat for 1 minute.

Carefully break 2 eggs in to the water ( it will be hot)

m/w for 20 seconds. wait a minute, m/w for another 20 seconds or so.

wait a minute.

The hot water is poaching the egg.

Check if it's done to your liking, maybe it needs another shot.

Lift out the eggs with a slotted spoon, serve on buttered toast.

In the end I think it's easier to do on the stove.

• 1 decade ago

Spray the plastic egg poacher with cooking spray. Put one teaspoon of water in the bottom of each egg cup. Drop an egg on top of the water. Pierce the egg white and yolk several times with a fork (so it wont explode)

Two eggs at high speed takes 50 seconds in my microwave.

Good luck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • janet
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You need a tablespoon of water for each egg. I poach mine for 60 seconds, and the yolks are still on the soft side, but the whites are completely done. My microwave is 1050 watt. My mom's is less than that, although we are not sure what it is exactly, but she cooks an egg for 90 seconds and it is done like mine are at 60 seconds.

So you may have to experiment, but the water would stay the same.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.