Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

will credit card companies wave late fees if you ask?

I just paid my bill online and it is due today, i do not have the money for the express payment. So it will post to my account as paid tommarow wich is a $39 late fee. I have only been late one other time in the 4 years that I have had the card. will they waive the late fee if I ask them to? I have also paid for the account protection thing they offer too.

• Steve
    Favorite Answer

They'll probably do it. Just tell them you've been with them a long time and only had one other late payment. Tell them why you're late, even if it's just that you forgot or tell them you thought because you paid online it would post that same day but still admit fault. Tell them you'll be extremely careful in the future and ask if they'd be willing to waive the fee as a "one time customer service."

Just be nice, odds are that they'll do it. But, don't do it today of course. They'll just tell you to pay it ontime with their express option. Wait till you get the next bill.

You might also want to consider paying the express fee. Is it less than $39? It doesn't make sense to cross your fingers to get $39 waived when $12 would have avoided it in the first place, not worth the gamble.

I haven't seen any other answers to your question but, just in case, don't worry about your credit. Late payments aren't reported to your credit unless they are over 30 days late, meaning you've completely missed a payment--that can happen even if you plan on "paying double" the next month like some people think works, it doesn't.

• OC1999

If you call them up they MAY credit the late fee. This all depends on things such as have you been late before, how long you have had the account, and how much is on the card.

Now, you may want to re-think this because that $39 may cost you much more in the long run. If you are paying more than the minimum, think about just paying the minimum plus the express fee, even this is better than paying late. This is because if your credit card has any special promotional rates those will be gone as soon as you are late. In fact even if you don't have any special rates a single late payment may put you into a default rate.

So for example if you had an interest rate of 10% a single late payment could put you into a higher rate like 19%. All of this is in the disclosures on your account, yes that 6-7 pages of small print you got when you got the card. Unlike the possibility of them waving the late fee, they will NOT lower your rate back no matter how much you ask.

• Audy

For Finance and credit solutions I visit this website where you can find all the solutions. http://SMARTFINANCESOLUTIONS.NET/index.html?src=vd...

RE :Will credit card companies wave late fees if you ask?

Follow 7 answers

Source(s): For Finance and credit solutions I visit this website where you can find all the solutions. http://SMARTFINANCESOLUTIONS.NET/index.html?src=vd...
  • Emanon

Depends on the card company.

Just the other day I canceled a card because they refused to take off a late fee. I had paid the bill three weeks ago but they didn't process it until two days after the due date. I explained that all my other payments had made it on time so they must have "lost" my payment for a few weeks. Realize that I had this account for over five years, never been late on a payment and paid it in full every single month. I asked to speak a supervisor, they refused to let me speak to a supervisor. I asked them to take off the late fee, they refused. I got really angry and told them to close the account - they refused. After arguing with them for over 30 minutes I finally got them to close the account.

I firmly believe that since the card company doesn't make a dime off me, they chose to not process the payment so they could charge a late fee. It's all a huge racket!

If you don't have a history of late payments, some credit card companies will waive late charges as a "one time courtesy". I would recommend giving them a call and trying.

Be polite and let them know it is not a habit of yours to pay late.

Good luck.

More than likely they will if you call them. but set up the bill pay thru their website directly from your bank account to avoid this problem in the future. Then you won't have to pay one time express fees.

Source(s): my payments

Your chances of the fee being waived are probably 90/10 (you being the 10%)

I don't think so.To them, late is late.