Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Has anyone any slow cooker recipes?

I am a full time mum and two nights of the week i work until 8 so i am looking for some slow cooker recipes that i can put on in the morning before work (8.00) and my husband can turn off and serve at teatime (5.30). Thanks

• Alnisa

At least you're realistic about the amount of preparation you're willing to do. Your local library probably has several cookbooks which contain nothing but slowcooker recipes, and other cookbooks with slowcooking sections. If your library doesn't have these books, ask the librarian for an interlibrary loan. My basic recipe is to put a large chunk of some sort of meat in the cooker, add a little liquid, and possibly add some minced dried onions. The minced dried onions can be found in the spice & seasoning section of the store, and they work very well in a slow cooker. I think that they taste better than fresh onions, and they are certainly much faster to use. The cheaper cuts of meat are actually better in a slow cooker than the more expensive ones. The cooker will give the cheap cuts time to break down over the long cooking period. So, use dark chicken meat, thighs or drumsticks, rather than breasts. Use a chuck or 7 blade roast, rather than round. Canned broth is great to put in a slow cooker, or use flavor base, mixing it with a little hot water. I like Better than Buillion flavor base, as it has a lot less sodium than buillion cubes. Wine is a great liquid to add, too. Just remember that slow cooking will produce a lot of liquid, and you usually won't need to add more than a cup. Slow cooking is a great way to keep from heating up the house, too.

I have a Crock Pot I'd never used until a couple of days ago-I needed a dish to bring into to a pot luck at work. I tried to find recipes on-line, but there are so many sites! I ended up going to the library and getting a few books of nothing but slow cooker recipes. I found a few recipes that used similar ingredients, so I can make a few dishes with the same ingredients.

I ended up making a lentil shepard's pie. It was so good!

Club House makes a lot of different seasoning mixes for slow cookers. My boyfriend and I really like the beef stew. The packages have directions on how much water to add and vegetable suggestions, although I just add whatever I have on hand that day.

• Lenora

Check the food network. There is a show called cooking it simple where more than half of the recipes used is on a slow cooker.

Source(s): www.foodnetwork.com

You could check out the website below; it is devoted to slow-cooker recipes. For example, these:

Beef Bourguignon

INGREDIENTS

1 Cup Dry red wine

2 Tablespoons Olive oil

1 Large Onion -- sliced

1/2 Teaspoon Thyme

2 Tablespoons Parsley -- chopped

1 Bay leaf

1/4 Teaspoon Pepper

2 Pounds stewing beef, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes

3 Slices Bacon (thick-cut is possible) -- diced

12 Small White onions

1/2 Pound Sliced mushrooms

2 Cloves Garlic -- minced

1 Teaspoon Salt

DIRECTIONS

Combine first seven ingredients, mix well, add beef. Marinate at least 3 hours (overnight if refrigerated) Drain meat, reserving marinade. In skillet, sauté bacon and remove. Brown meat in bacon fat. Combine beef, bacon, vegetables and seasonings in slow cooker. Pour over enough marinade to cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours.

~~~~~~~~

Braised Chicken Curry With Yams

INGREDIENTS

Canola oil

2 lbs chicken legs and thighs (I use boneless/skinless thighs mostly)

2 large white onions chopped

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp minced ginger

1/3 cup madras curry powder (mild, medium/hot your choice)

1 banana

2 bay leaves

4 cups chicken stock

3 large yams, peeled and chopped

salt and black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

In a hot stock pot coated with oil, season the chicken and brown on all sides. Put chicken aside. IN the same stockpot, remove all chicken fat, leaving only a coating of oil and saute onions, garlic and ginger. Caramelize well, then add curry powder. Mix quickly for 2 minutes making sure not to burn the curry powder. Add back the chicken, banana, bay leaves,yams and chicken stock. Check for seasonings. Briing to a boil and then simmer slowly for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Serve on basmati rice. I usually toss it all into the crockpot when i add back the chicken etc. . . . and leave it on low for about 4 hours.

• bliss

each of them provide a different series of nutrients and that is why a variety of both strongly recommended by nutritionists and dietitians.

put in a pork or beef roast. dump a package of powdered onion soup mix on it, and cook on slow all day. in the afternoon, you can add sliced onions and/or halved mushrooms, and garlic if you like. serve with mashed potatoes, or rice, or you can cook sliced potatoes with the meat. this is my boyfriend's favorite dish of mine.

• If you family likes meat, please try out this recipe- you'll love it.

http://youvegotsupper.com/recipes/Mouthwatering_Po...

or this one!

http://youvegotsupper.com/recipes/Peppery_Slow_Coo...

Here's a yummy chicken dish:http://youvegotsupper.com/recipes/Slow_Cooker_Chic...

Enjoy!

go to allrecipes.com