Will Joe Staley for the 49ers become a great Left Tackle?

Possibly be the next Walter Jones?

Favorite Answer

I don't know about "the next Walter Jones", but as a 49ers fan, I'm hoping Staley continues to improve on his already good NFL start. I think before his career is all said and done, Staley will at least be in the discussion of top 10 offensive tackles of the decade.

Good question. In a way, it's like taking away Larry Holmes' jab. Frazier is known, primarily, for his left hook. Given the state of the division, at the time, I think he still would have become champion. He became champion because ALI was forced into exile. The question, as to whether or not Frazier would have become champ, lies in what might have happened differently in ALI's life. I believe that ALI vs Frazier would have happened in late 1969, had ALI not gone into exile. ALI would have taken a clear decision, coming close to stopping Joe. If Frazier's hook was "average" instead of great, he still would be champion. His hook was great, not because of any technique, though some are better than others. Frazier's hook was great because it was his best punch. However, it was his Tenacity and Iron Will that made his offensive attack so great. Frazier made the committment to get inside where his hook would be the most effective. He threw his punches with the intention of separating his opponent from his senses. He once said he'd "...fight mah momma if she was in the other corner". Joe Frazier was a peaceful man but, once that bell rang, his opponent had his hands full. It was Joe's heart that made his hook great. It was Joe's heart that made him a great champion.

No Walter Jones, but he will make a name for himself, he got alot better after he got his butt handed to him by Strahan.

I'm not impressed with him so far.