can a male officer pat down a female suspect?

Yes, if the Officer has a reason to believe the female may be armed and a danger to him he may pat her down. This happens all the time. If a female Officer is available I usually get them to do it but like I said if you think someone may be a danger to you it does not make since to stand around and wait on a female Officer to be available if they ever will.

This is a common myth often asked in Y!Answers.

I had a male complain about one of my female Officers patting him down. I thought it was kind of funny that he was upset a woman touched.

Source(s): People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell

Pat down yes, search no.

Same for female officers with males

The officer always tries for a same sex pat down but if gender not quickly available safety first.

Just so you understand a pat down is not a search. A pat down is a check for objects that the person may use against an officer, like a gun or a knife. It is for officer safety.

Most of the handling during a pat down is squeezing or crushing of pockets and such, there is not much hand to body contact and what there is can be done with the back of the hand.

My department, my state, yours may differ.

Source(s): retired cop
    • vito4 years agoReport

dumb *** ..you cant feel anything with the back of your hand, and you can not retrieve anything hidden, get real

A male officer can do a perfunctory search of a female suspect if there is no female officer present. That means that he can check the major areas for guns and put his hands in her pockets. If no female officer is going to be present in a reasonable time, he can search her, on scene, like he would a male suspect.

He can run his hands over her ***, up and down both legs to the crotch, check her waistband, and examine any loose clothing. He cannot invade her cleavage or touch her breasts. The point of the search should be for weapons (i.e. large items).

No officer should be asked to put his safety at risk because the suspect is a female.

Yes, if necessary. If the option exists at the time an officer should only pat down suspects of the same gender. However, if this isn't an option the officer has to pat down the subject anyway.

Source(s): 11 years law enforcement
  • ohagan

definite and definite. If a female officer is latest whilst a female is patted down coverage at maximum departments says the female could do the pat down. comparable undertaking whilst my female companion would end a guy. I did the guy pat down. female law enforcement officers combating adult males with out male law enforcement officers around, they do the hunt. Male law enforcement officers desiring to pat down a female and no female officers there, the male does the pat down. you may care approximately scientific care and stuff yet law enforcement officers care approximately doing their activity, protecting the peace. whilst available having comparable intercourse do pat downs or different searches has a tendency to help save undertaking incredibly or from getting extra contaminated.

If he has legitimate reason, I would insist that he did, if a female officer was not readily available.

You think a firearm on a female is less deadly than one on a male?

I think a law enforcement officer's safety overrides the "delicate sensiblities" of a female who would put herself in a position to be detained.

22 years working at a FL prison... where female officers pat down male convicts all the time...

Source(s): Just a thought...

it is discrimination, if female officers can pat down males to include the crouch area , and if the female officer feels something in the crouch of the male she can reach in to retrieve it, but the male officer can not check a females crouch or reach in to retrieve it.. WHY???? again discrimination

• Randy

Yes they can. It is a myth that a female absolutely needs to do it.

Of course they can. Total myth.

NO! they got call in a female officer to search you and pat you down

Source(s): ( read it online ) and seen it happen