Tips for Success in Graphic Design?

I was just wondering if any graphic designers had any tips?

I will finish with both my Associates in Digital Media Technology and Associates in Web/Computer Programming by Spring 2010.

My goal is to work full-time as a programmer and part-time as a graphic designer (probably mostly in web design / development)

I've already done some website work, it's pretty amateur: < www.energysavingsprayfoam.com > I had nothing to do with the graphical image design though.

Do companies even hire part-time graphic designers? Or is it better to go on your own?

Favorite Answer

There is no one right answer for your question.

In my opinion, a designer who has a good understanding of the Web - not just from a design standpoint but from a functional standpoint as well, has a much better chance of finding a job in the corporate world than someone who only works in print. Nowadays, with more and more marketing and communication moving to the Web, a person who understands the intricacies of the Web has much to offer.

If I were you, I would take some basic writing/communication courses. Learn the basics of e-mail and interactive marketing. With this type of background, you will be able to go most anywhere.

Even though you may aspire to be an independent web designer, by broadening your skill set just a bit, you will become so much more marketable than just a designer, or just a writer, or just a junior marketing person.

If you would like to converse about this further, drop me an e-mail.

Good luck.

it depends on where you live. there are arts and design program, computer graphic, 3D design, web design and animation. you can use any of all of these for your portfolio. as for software, most company used adobe and macromedia. adobe bought and own macromedia for years now, so if you go to adobe website, you can learn everything about many other software own and sold by adobe. hope this helps.