Should I block a doorway before I let my dog through it?

I have worked with my dog on some things to make sure that I am the pack leader, and I am just wondering if I should block the doorway before I walk through, or should I make sure he will always stand there and let me pass through it first. There are some times when he waits and I walk through it, but then there... show more I have worked with my dog on some things to make sure that I am the pack leader, and I am just wondering if I should block the doorway before I walk through, or should I make sure he will always stand there and let me pass through it first. There are some times when he waits and I walk through it, but then there are other times when he tries to run through (like for a walk outside) and I try to beat him to it.

I feel like I may be exacerbating the high energy he shows by trying to beat him to the door. Is that still ok? Should I work more on doorways so that he will consistently wait there for me to pass?