promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I am in a meal rut , which meals do you eat within a normal week? ?

I try and cook a different main meal every week day but my partner has gone off some of them and I need some other ideas. So if you're up for sharing ideas maybe other people like me and need more ideas. I enjoy cooking and am a veggie so always have to do meat on side for partner or we have veggie mince in dishes. Also am trying to find fuller meals that are low fat fish & veg gets so boring.

Spaghetti Bol

macaroni cheese

fajitas

ratatouille - gone off

coq a van - gone off

stir fry ( chow mein sauce )

chili

lasagne

salmon and honey & mustard sauce - he doesn't like the sauce as he hates vinegar and the dressing has it in

meat & veg / fish & veg

cawl - vegetable soup with meat added

chicken supreme

Tuna neopolitian pasta

pasta bake

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Down here in the south a typical meal is

pot of beans, cornbread, fried chicken or chops, fried potatoes gravy and biscuits

Or

grilled fish or chic breast or chops(on a griddle or hot skillet oiled) with baked potato n fresh mango pepper salad

Or

Red beans and rice with sausage, over rice potato salad, sliced cucumbers

Or

Smothered steak or swiss steak mashed potatoes, green beans rolls

Or

Gumbo with many versions, seafood, chicken, duck, anduille sausage always with fried okra and file in it. Over rice and chow chow on the side

Or

Roast beef with gravy n mashed potatoes, slaw then with left overs make po-boy sandwiches like this with french bread:

http://www.gumbopages.com/looka/images/jazzfest05/...

Or

Oven BBQ chicken or ribs with hot Cattlemens BBQ sauce, pea salad, slaw french fries here is a how to clip for oven bbq'ing: Just watch it takes you right through it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENlYi_bRKCo

Youtube thumbnail

Or

stewed chicken, beef or pork it doesn't matter in a rich roux with rice and 7-layer salad

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Honestly, grain is your best friend. Try out different kinds of pasta dishes using ozizo and other foreign noodles. For help with pasta flavor combos go to FOODNETWORK.COM and look under some a Giada DeLorentis' dishes. She has a few hearty fish dishes and many many unique innovative pasta ideas.

In addition, try out soups. You can make a good soup with ANYTHING. Try split pea, cabbage, veggie, onion, cheese, and there are even some fish soups that you can make. just keep broths (store bought), seasonings, veggies, thickner, and cheese on hand.

Salads can be hearty and delicious. THe trick is to PUT ALOT OF STUFF IN IT. Try celery, onion, pepper, peas, dried fruit, and eggs on your salad. For youor hubby chop salami to put on or ham or bacon.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

-Brown rice, quick boiled collard greens, and fried tofu topped with coconut almond sauce is one of my favorite meals. You could use pieces of chicken instead of tofu.

-Beans and cheese baked in whole wheat flour tortillas topped with veggies

-Falafel in pita pockets with yogurt and lettuce

-Roasted root vegetables: use a cup each of cut up beets, carrots, potatoes, and turnips, and half an onion, chopped. Take a big piece of aluminum foil and lay half of it in a pan. Put the vegetables on the half in the pan and brush them with olive oil. Sprinkle minced garlic, sea salt, oregano, basil, and any other spices you like on top. Cover with the other half of the aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.

-Pancakes or waffles with homemade applesauce and spinach omelets.

Source(s): cookusinterruptus.com (this site has so many amazing recipes, both vegetarian and omnivore)
  • 1 decade ago

One for you:

Country Chili

1 cup tvp flakes or chunks*

1 cup hot water

1 tbsp ketchup

Combine TVP, water and ketchup. Let stand 10 minutes

½ large onion, chopped

½ green pepper, chopped (you probably call it a capsicum)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)

Heat a large Dutch oven, Add:

1 tbsp olive oil

Over medium heat, sauté onions, pepper (capsicum) and garlic a few minutes. Sprinkle over the TVP and stir with a fork:

1 tbsp chili powder*

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp oregano

¼ tsp cayenne

Add the TVP to the pan and cook a few minutes. Stir in:

1 14-oz can tomatoes, coarsely chopped

1 14-oz can your favorite beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup water or vegetable broth

Cover and simmer for 30 minutes to one hour. Taste and add salt. If desired, add a 16-oz package of frozen corn during the last 15 minutes.

* Yes, that is one tablespoon. Mild chili powder gives a lot of flavor without heat. If your veggie mince is not in a dried state, skip that first re-hydrating step and just add the mince after sauteeing the onions, pepper (capsicum) and garlic.

-------

One for him:

Rosemary Chicken Breasts

Prep: 10 minutes

Marinate: 30 minutes

Cook: 8 to 10 minutes

Serves: 4

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

5 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon lemon juice

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Prepare a hot fire. Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry; place in a glass baking dish. In small bowl, mix together garlic, rosemary, mustard, lemon juice, salt pepper and olive oil until well blended. Pour over chicken breasts and turn to coat well. Cover and marinate at room temperature, turning once or twice, for 30 minutes. (if you want to marinate longer, place the dish in the refrigerator)

2. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and place on oiled grill set 4 to 6 inches from coals or heat source. Grill chicken, turning once and basting with reserved marinade, until chicken is white throughout but still juicy, 8 to 10 minutes. You could probably cook these indoors, under the broiler.

Personal note: I like to cook these longer, until the marinade becomes caramelized.

----

One for both:

Pasta Shells Florentine

1 package (10 ounces / 283 grams) frozen chopped spinach,

thawed, and well drained

1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese

1 cup cottage cheese

1 egg (or just 1 egg white)

1 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

(don’t skip this – it really improves the taste)

16 Jumbo pasta shells (for filling)

cooked and drained

1 Jar (32 ounces / 907 grams) spaghetti sauce

Heat oven to 375F / Gas Mark 5 / 191C. Mix spinach, mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, egg, (or egg white) Parmesan cheese and nutmeg until well blended. Fill each shell with a heaping Tablespoon of spinach mixture. Place in a 9 x 12 baking dish that has been sprayed with release spray (Pam). Spoon sauce over the filled shells. Cover with foil.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

---

I tried to convert the US measurements for you; please check my maths.

Good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

These are two of the best cookbooks I have found:

http://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Cookery-Anniversary-Lou... (although when a recipe calls for frozen firm tofu just use compessed it easier and has a better texture).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bean-Book-Essential-Vegeta... For a lot of the dishes it's easy to add some cooked meat to his portion.

Good Luck

• Nita
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

That they are good for health, however if you are asking which is better for diet in this instance all vegetables would do well

• 1 decade ago

i eat some roast beef, pepperoni

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.