promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Should pacifists be allowed to use 'religious beliefs' as a figleaf for their naked cowardice?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your assumptions are erroneous. Some pacifists are the bravest people you will ever meet. They still won't pick up a gun even if a gun is being pointed at them. Unlike me. I'll shoot back at your azz because I'm afraid to get killed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Are you saying you'd rather have a naked coward in the foxhole with you?

I'd think that non-pacifists would be glad to have the pacifists as far away from the military as possible, no matter what "religious" figleaf they had to use to get out of service.

• 1 decade ago

Pacifists do not use religious belief as a 'fig leaf' for cowardice. Sometimes it is harder for a pacifist to stay stronger to their ideas than it is for the majority to believe that war is right. I have great respect for the courage of an ardent pacifist.

• 1 decade ago

i would say no becasue religion is not a grounds for pacifism. and there is no religion that is purely pacifist. all permit combat and are hypocritical when they claim they don't.

if someone can genuinely show that they are a pacifist to serve in a different venue of the war- then fine,

but religion should NEVER play in as a factor or be allowed to grant an exemption.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Do you consider Prof. Einstein to be a coward?

He was a pacifist back in WWII, when your brand of nationalism was at it's highest fervor in the western world. And he wasn't even religious.

Source(s): "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." -- Samuel Johnson
  • 1 decade ago

Pacifists are not cowards, although some cowards have claimed to be pacifists. Conscientious objectors have committed acts of heroism.

• 1 decade ago

Should war-mongers be allowed to use "patriotism" as a figleaf for their naked aggression and violence?

• Thalia
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes, certainly, pacifists should not be able to hide behind religion in order to shirk their duty which is to function as shocktroops in times of war.

Although they make lousy soldiers, by acting as enemy targets they direct bullets away from the true soldier and help to ensure success on the battlefield. Everyone needs to play their part. Shirking your duty by making cowardly excuses is unpatriotic.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They don't. Because they aren't cowards. What's wrong with saying "Killing people is bad"? Wait, isn't that one of the 10 commandments? HOLY F*** IT IS! So......the real question is why do Christians that "live by the 10 commandments" think that war(which is just glorified murder) is okay? Tell me that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Pacifists are not cowards. War is a horrible thing and should never be necessary.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.