Fundamentalists- If you give your child an Easter Egg are you participating in pagan worship?

How about placing your child's presents under a Christmas Tree?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hey the RCC stole those traditions fair and square and the fundies stole them from the RCC . You expect them to acknowledge reality ?

• 1 decade ago

Agreed with C.L. Richardson and UU Pagan.

As a pagan myself, I'm rather sick of this petty argument.

Easter and Christmas are Christian holidays - their intentions are to honor Jesus.

So what if they engage in some of the same customs and traditions as some pagans do for their celebrations of Spring Equinox and Winter Solstice? Newer cultures absorb some things from the pre-existing cultures - that's just the way it is - and it's not limited to Christians absorbing some pagan traditions into their holiday festivities.

Does your family have a "family tradition"? Something odd or different that your family does yearly that is unique to your family? And if so, do you think you can trace that back to the very beginning of your family? Or perhaps somewhere along the line, your family picked the idea up from another family?

For example, my family takes a little weekend trip to the beach every winter. Yes, winter, snow on the beach and all - so obviously we aren't swimming and sunbathing - but my folks never liked crowds of summer tourists, so we visit the ocean as a family in the winter. I'm pretty sure this tradition doesn't date back to my ancestors in Scotland and Ireland.

The fact that we enjoy some of the same activities for our respective holidays should be some common ground for us to build a bridge of understanding on, instead of a wall to divide us further. There is no reason we can't share in our commonalities, while still celebrating our respective holidays for what they mean to us personally.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Only christians who are afraid of demons hiding underneath is afraid of that. I am a christian, i watch harry potter, do yoga, love halloween and so on.

Some christians would consider it a pagan worship while others don't.

Now Christianity is not based off of pagan religions. It is based off of Judaism.

But saying that I think any honest person who has studied it out would say without a doubt Christ often used something from Paganism and changed it with a christian symbolism.

The fish was Pagan and so on as in his symbol.

Saying that christians copied paganism in the belief of a saviour by being crucified a is out right lie. The idea of the saviour being crucified is based soley off of the OT in Isaiah when it talks about the christ being pierced for our transgression.

Some of the oldest writtings are biblical while others are not.

One of the oldest clay stamps is one of a woman reaching out to a snake with legs in a tree.

Christians say it repersented the story of Eve while many wiccans, pagans, or simply others say it repersents Enki (the snake) reaching out to human kind with a fruit (knowledge).

You cannot prove one or the other because people who have spent 12 years plus and have degrees from many faiths still argue over this both sides using tons of evidence and so on.

I suggest really studying it out and coming to a conclusion because for the most part no matter what truth or flaw is showed to someone their will always be another way to view it and will always be until the end then we will find out what we find out.

• aguayo
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

one thousand years in the past eggs and rabbits were Pagan symbols of fertility. at present those are cultural symbols with out Pagan motive. they're only relaxing. see you later as you teach your newborn about the authentic that technique of Easter, the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, and optimistically attending Easter amenities then partaking contained in the religiously impartial Easter egg hunt could no longer be a large deal. Do you put up a religiously impartial Christmas tree that a million,000 years in the past would have had some Pagan meaning? With love in Christ.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Both Easter and Chrsitmas are well documented as pagan festivals and nothing to do with christians!!

Easter is set by the first full moon after the vernal equinox. This is the one day in the year when day and night are roughly equal!

It varies by more than a month over the years and so it simply cannot represent the date of anyone's death!!!

It is in fact a combination of several pagan festivals most notably the spring festival.

The name Easter comes from “Eastre” an Anglo-Saxon pagan goddess. Also the Norse goddess,Ostara who took her name from the Teutonic lunar goddess Eostre

Even the Chinese have the festival of Ching Ming where flowers and sweets are put on their ancestors graves!!

The egg and the rabbit are symbols of springtime and rebirth along with the custom of giving flowers etc!!

Chrsitmas is nothing to do with either Christianity or Islam but it does have it's origins in the midwinter festival and many other basically pagan rites but since much of it is a celebration of nature rather than religion everyone should be able to enjoy it and be happy together despite religion!!

The ancient European pagans celebrated the midwinter festival and a number of other festivals long before Christianity ever existed!

Babylonians celebrated the feast of the Son of Isis with gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift giving and the goddess of fertility, love, and war.

The Romans held a festival on 25 December called “Dies Natalis Solis Invicti, celebrating their own god Sol Invictas - PAGAN.

The Persian god Mithras, the Syrian sun god Elah Gabal, the German Sol, the Greek Helios and the Mesopotamian Shamash. But also Saturnalia, honouring Saturn, the God of Agriculture. The law courts and schools were closed. No public business could be transacted an this is where the holidays originated - ALL PAGAN!!!

Wax tapers were given by the more humble to their superiors. The origin of the Christmas candle - PAGAN!!

In Rome groups of costumed went from house to house entertaining their people. And this was where the carolling Christmas tradition originated PAGAN!!

Statues of the Mother and lover or Mother and son were paraded through the streets not only in Italy but also in Africa, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany and Bulgaria. Thus, the symbolism of the Heavenly Virgin and the infant child paraded on a yearly basis are not of Christian origin. They stem from the Mother-goddess religion, which is very ancient ENTIRELY PAGAN!!.

Scandinavian countries celebrated Yule honouring Thor - PAGAN.

In Germania (not Germany) they celebrated midwinter night followed by 12 wild nights of eating and drinking. The 12 days of Christmas PAGAN!!

The church under Pope Julius I declared that Christ’s birth would be celebrated on December 25 in 350 AD in order to try to hijack the PAGAN festivals but it was largely ignored. Christians did not really celebrate Christmas until 378 but it was then dropped in 381 and not resurrected until 400.

The Christmas tree stems from pagan tradition and ritual surrounding the Winter Solstice, which included the use of holly boughs ivy and other foliage as an adaptation of pagan tree worship. Holly and ivy represented male and female. Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and the custom of kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual - all PAGAN!!

Santa Claus came from the Dutch “Sinterklaas” and was a tall figure riding a white horse through the air and usually accompanied by Black Peter, an elf who punished disobedient children. Also the origin of the reindeer, sleigh and the elves ALL PAGAN!!

The modern red coated Santa was brought about by coca cola!!

America actually banned Christmas several times and is the originator of the expression “Happy Holidays” which came about because of the pagan origins of Christmas to include all religions and traditions!!

The Venerable Bede, an early Christian writer pointed out that the Christian church absorbed Pagan practices when it found the population unwilling to give up the festivals. Thus a lot of what Christians now see as Christians practices are in fact pagan!!!

Christmas is the time of year christians strive to prove just how pagan they have become!!!

Scratch the Christian and you find the pagan – spoiled. - Israel Zangwill

So whilst everyone thinks the fundies are trying to force people to become christian it is in fact a cover for them becoming more and more pagan!!!

• 1 decade ago

What is the origin of Easter and the customs associated with it?

The Encyclopædia Britannica comments: “There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament, or in the writings of the apostolic Fathers. The sanctity of special times was an idea absent from the minds of the first Christians.”—(1910), Vol. VIII, p. 828.

The Catholic Encyclopedia tells us: “A great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring, gravitated to Easter. The egg is the emblem of the germinating life of early spring. . . . The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility.”—(1913), Vol. V, p. 227.

In the book The Two Babylons, by Alexander Hislop, we read: “What means the term Easter itself? It is not a Christian name. It bears its Chaldean origin on its very forehead. Easter is nothing else than Astarte, one of the titles of Beltis, the queen of heaven, whose name, . . . as found by Layard on the Assyrian monuments, is Ishtar. . . . Such is the history of Easter. The popular observances that still attend the period of its celebration amply confirm the testimony of history as to its Babylonian character. The hot cross buns of Good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch or Easter Sunday, figured in the Chaldean rites just as they do now.”—(New York, 1943), pp. 103, 107, 108; compare Jeremiah 7:18.

In The Easter Book, Weiser justifies all of this by saying that the church has ‘elevated the pre-Christian symbolism of nature into a Christian sacramental.’ Non-Christian practices, he says, “have added a charming touch to the supernatural meanings of the [Easter] season.”

Admittedly, the sight of children scrambling for brightly colored eggs may seem “charming.” The same could be said for many Easter customs. But are they simply harmless fun? Said one Greek café owner: “I know that the egg—it is stupid; and the bunny—more stupid; and that we fast for 40 days before Easter—it’s stupid. But this adds a bit of spice to our life.”

Perhaps. But sincere Christians are concerned that the Bible says: “For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? . . . ‘“Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,” says Jehovah, “and quit touching the unclean thing.”’” (2 Corinthians 6:14-17) Surely that would include customs that are clearly derived from—or unmistakably resemble—false religious practices. True, clerics argue that such practices become acceptable when brought into the church. However, it was this same line of reasoning that once nearly led the Israelites to ruin!

In violation of God’s command, they made a golden calf. (Exodus 20:4) It was no doubt modeled after idols they had seen in Egypt. Then they used the idol in a rite they called “a festival to Jehovah.” But did Jehovah God feel that this added “charm” to his worship? On the contrary! Only Moses’ intervention spared the Israelites from extermination!—Exodus 32:1-5, 9-14.

Easter customs—eggs, bunnies, and bonfires—are therefore not cleansed by being practiced by Christians. Rather, they defile anyone practicing them.—Compare Haggai 2:12, 13.

Interestingly, though, an article in the Australian magazine The Bulletin observed: “Jehovah’s Witnesses write Easter off as an amalgam of Christian and pagan rites.” Yes, they decline participation in idolatrous rites. Yet they do give honor to the resurrected Christ. The article continued: “Witnesses gather . . . [once a year] to commemorate Jesus’ death.” This is done in the way Christ commanded—by the serving of unleavened bread and wine.

The challenge now to those who know the truth about Easter is whether they will act upon what they know or not.

Source(s): for more info on all holidays and their origins go to www.watchtower.org
  • 1 decade ago

Here we go again.

You cannot engage in pagan worship unless your intent is pagan. Just as much as I cannot engage in christian worship unless my intent is christian.

As a pagan, I don't give a flying flip what anyone does with their holidays and traditions. It's simply not my business. I go about celebrating the way I see fit and have a glorious time. I suggest everyone else do the same.

• 1 decade ago

Since the bible told the jews to cut down sacred groves, and they considered the groves to be gods who their pagan neighbors prayed to, I'd say christians shouldn't have an "idol" up in their living room every christmas.

• BRoth
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Not pagan worship... just pagan rituals. If Paul said not to worry about eating meat sacrificed to idols then I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about eating an egg that's been dyed pretty colors.

• Patsy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No because the egg represents a new birth and we do not worship the egg. Baby Jesus received presents that is part of what we do to celebrate His birth.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm not a Fundamentalist, but my kids enjoy egg hunting on Easter and Santa on Christmas. I taught them that faith has nothing to do with the other, that it's for fun.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.