I want to install a turbo on a 2g eclipse gs. Do I have to replace the cars computer when I do?

I'm going to purchase a 97-99 eclipse gs, and just want to know if I have to replace the cars computer if I install a turbocharger.

Favorite Answer

I fail to see how a turbo timer or an "external" turbo timer is going to help adjust fuel trims on a car that WAS running straight vaccuum but is now running up to 8psi. Yes, you WILL need some way to control your ECU, Fuel, and possibly ignition timing. If you can't see knock or fuel trims, you're asking to blow up your engine. Doesn't matter if you lower compression if you can't see what's going on in your engine. The 420a ECU cannot cope with boost without help. Something as simple as an AFC might be able to help, but I'm thinking more along the lines of Megasquirt or even so far as AEM EMS. People seem to think that all they need to to do is bolt up a turbo and they can add 500hp. It doesn't work that way. Sorry. You'll also need a bigger fuel pump, upgraded FMU, larger injectors, a turbo manifold, O2 housing, downpipe, the turbo that you choose, intercooler piping, BOV, external wastegate (if the turbo isn't internally gated), etc. etc. Check out Hahn Racecraft kits. They're pretty much the standard turbo kit for the 420a cars.

Source(s): Moderate www.dsmtuners.com

i have turboed a 1997 GS before and it worked fine. however i would buy forged parts such as pistons and lifters that can handle the higher compression. no you dont need to get a new ECU. just run a turbo timer and all the other stuff to an external turbo timer so that you can control everything. I recommend a Greddy turbo timer. they are easiest to use and more reliable. as for turbo HKS is only turbo i will use. and i have installed around 10 turbos on DSM cars. its well worth the extra cash

• spyder

You'll need to get the motor from the turbo Eclipse along with the computer/ecu.

false, you will need a manifold that will fit your car. you motor and ecu will "work" but it is not recommended to run a turbo without some type of way to adjust the air fuel and monitor knock. the easy way to do that is to get an s-afc and a turbo ecu.

save the money n get a gst or gsx dont waist money on turboing a motor ull waist more then actually selling ur gs n getting a gst

Source(s): Done it