Do you consider Disney's Song of the South racist?

I have studied a lot of history, but I do not understand why people say Song of the South is racist. Disney won't even put it on DVD, even though there is a whole ride at Disney World(splash mountain) based on the movie. Yes, some horrible things were done to black people when they were slaves. Overseers... show more I have studied a lot of history, but I do not understand why people say Song of the South is racist. Disney won't even put it on DVD, even though there is a whole ride at Disney World(splash mountain) based on the movie.

Yes, some horrible things were done to black people when they were slaves. Overseers would wip them while the master was away. However, the way slaves were depicted in the movie is how it usually was. Slaves, yes, but almost another father or mother figure to the master's children. The children often would play with the slave children and call them brothers and sisters.

I don't think the movie condones slavery, but I think it depicts a part of our nation's history well.
Update: Mae G

yes, but it is not slavery that is being presented as entertainment, it is the life and good heart of a slave. That to me is very important. The character is a slave, but still has the kindest of hearts. James Basket even won an academy award for the role.
Update 2: you are wrong on two things. Uncle Remus was depicted as a slave. he was not free. But that does not mean that slaves were not able to be happy sometimes. Did you know that many types of music were created by slaves who tried to make the best out of their situation? They sang, played, and laughed with eachother,... show more you are wrong on two things. Uncle Remus was depicted as a slave. he was not free.

But that does not mean that slaves were not able to be happy sometimes. Did you know that many types of music were created by slaves who tried to make the best out of their situation? They sang, played, and laughed with eachother, and even held their own church services and marriage ceremonies. It is highly commendable that they were able to make good despite their rotten conditions