Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

California prison situation?

So, California is about to release around 51,000 prisoners into society because of overcrowding. They say that the prisons are 'inhumane' and cause the prisoners to be 'unhappy' and 'suicidal'. So, what do you think? I say, why not lower the minimum reason for execution? I mean, EVERY SINGLE murderer would receive the death penalty. How many prisoners would that cut down? 100,000? More? So, what do you think? Higher penalties or should we release thousands of rapists, thieves and child molesters into your community? Agree / disagree? (Posted in more appropriate category)

That's my issue with this! Every single person I ask says the same thing. Who exactly are these liberal douche bags who worry about the way a criminal is treated? I mean, come on! It makes me so angry. I say, if someone commits murder, you murder him back! If they rape, you build a machine that will rape them 6 times as bad. Why wouldn't anyone agree with that? When you break the law in a terrible way, you should be punished, not pampered!

Ok, I'm not talking about the non-violent criminals. I believe they should be punished as well but not to this extent. HOWEVER, even if there were NO overcrowding problem I still believe that if someone kills a kid their body should be ripped apart like in something you would see in a SAW movie. If you don't agree you're just an uneducated liberal who's heart bleeds and bleeds and bleeds for the poor victims! Oh, those poor murderers and rapist, those poor non-violent criminals, have mercy on them! : ( Please, they need health care! I say kill them just like they would do to you.

Favorite Answer

This is a political hot potato here but I do want to add my two cents also.

Until the mid 70's, the USA used what was called Civil Death. The convict was kicked off the face of the planet and had NO rights while incarcerated for a felony crime. Life was harsh inside the wire, amenities were non existent, the con had to work in a prison factory 8 hours a day for 15 cents an hour and the products made were sold on the public market to help reduce the public burden of their incarceration. The lifestyle of the time FORCED the convict to reconsider his ways and he made his own mind up to rehabilitate himself in order NOT to return to prison again after release. The recidivism rate in this time period was 15% ( that means 15 out of each 100 persons caught another number and went back to prison).

Now the mid 70's comes and the liberals start looking at the penal system. The prison factories are torn down. Inmates ( no longer allowed to call them "cons", it might offend them) sit around watching 60 inch color tv's that the taxpayer provides, working out in the taxpayer supplied gyms or sitting in the taxpayer supplied legal libraries desperately pouring over the books for a loophole to overturn their case or search for a reason to file a frivolous lawsuit since it costs them NOTHING to file lawsuit after lawsuit. ( two examples I will use that were filed at my prison in the past years. The first one was that the chow hall only served smooth peanut butter and his digestive system needed chunky peanut butter. Filed for $25,000 for pain and suffering. DENIED. The second one was the stainless steel toilet caused an inmate's hemmorhoids to inflame, causing him pain. Filed for $50,000 for pain and suffering. DENIED. ( PS...the reason we only have stainless steel toilets is when we used to have ceramic ones, the cons would break them up and sharpen the pieces they broke off for weapons).

Inmates no longer work in prison. They are assigned jobs like sweeping and mopping, working in foodservice or yard details. Absolutely nothing is being done to help reduce the public burden of the cost of their incarceration. Unlike the olden days, when a con was made to get up at 5 am each day to work, the inmate today sleeps in and develops NO work ethics or good habits that will help him when he is released.

We now have mandated rehabilitative classes, courses and therapy. It may sound great, but keep in mind that only a person who WANTS to be rehabilitated will accept this and embrace it. 99% of the inmates today attend only because it is a hole shot if they don't. They don't care nor pay attention.

The recidivism rate is an astounding 84% and the liberals are screaming "Look, we are saving 16 out of each 100".

PS...I also want to add just a tiny bit here for the attorneys who "help" inmates in their "inhumane treatment" while incarcerated. Something that has been lost in the translation is the difference between "expectations" and "necessity". As an example, as we get this every single year, is when flu season hits. We are all sick. Inmates and staff alike ( it is an enclosed environment, so when the inmates get the flu or a cold, we get it also). The inmate goes to medical and is told the same thing we are told. Take analgesics to help relieve the pain and symptoms and rest up. Now the written compliants start flying like a hurricane. The inmates are being ":denied" medical care because the doctors and nurses aren't making them feel normal or dispensing medicines that they KNOW exists that will cure them in 3 hours or less.

Our penal system has developed into a society where the inmates feel some massive sense of entitlement. They do not accept nor understand anything less because upper management is told to treat them with kindler and gentler ways.

Unfortunately, the decision makers in the penal system are coming right out of college into midlevel or higher management positions. They base their collective decisions and judgments on college class modules which are based on how the average person feels, thinks and responds. Inmates DO NOT think, act, respond or behave like the average law abiding citizen.

In the old days, a person started out walking the blocks and progressed through the system making warden in 20 years. They knew and understood how the criminal mind thought and dealt with them on their level. Not today.

The one thing the liberals do not understand or believe is that "kindness is mistaken for weakness" in the prison environment. I am not saying to bring back a Shawshank Redemption philosophy, but until we make life harsh again inside the wire, the inmates of today will not fear coming back to prison. This is why we have a recidivism rate of 84% and it shows NO signs of reducing itself, despite all kinds of new rehabilitative classes that are being introduced on a weekly basis.

I hope this helps and you can find it useful

Source(s):

20 years as a Corrections Officer in a max prison

• John M

I'm assuming the article you're talking about is here: http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMostRead/idUSTRE5...

I actually represent prisoners on in-prison crimes. What that means is many of my clients are persons who attacked other prisoners or guards while in the prison. It has been my experience that all my clients are extremely violent offenders. I do not have experience with lower security prisons.

To play devil's advocate, I"ll say this, the Constitution mandates that no punishment be cruel or unusual. You can't pack six men into a cell for 23 hours a day and not call it cruel and unusual. You can't deny people simple medical care and not call it cruel and unusual.

I'm not saying that people should be pampered. Even though I'm a defense attorney, I agree that most people in prison probably belong there. My issue is what the law says. You can't disregard portions of the law because it's inconvenient and the law is pretty clear in this area. Pampering is really not at issue in a California prison, believe me.

What we're seeing in the prisons is really a symptom of a larger problem. Illegal immigration and a failed education system are largely to blame for overcrowding. We have also lost the war on drugs.

Now, of course, the failures are becoming apparent as the state is bankrupt and we can't just build more prisons. We're going to have to release senior citizen prisoners, not send people back to prison on minor parole violations and strongly reconsider the application of three strikes. That's a tall order when you have intense gang violence in the streets right now and the citizens are screaming for more enforcement; but when the money's short, you simply have to choose.

Source(s): Criminal defense attorney

u cant really take the eye for an eye approach when it comes to prosecuting criminals. What about the father that kills the person who raped his son? Does he deserve to be executed in prison I personally dont think so. My heart def. does not bleed for criminals however i have enough of a conscience to know that each case needs to be handled differently. Yes people that commit murder for any other reason then self defense should probably be killed but just keep in mind there are alot of innocent people in jail to. Maybe if we let them all out it wouldnt be so crowded. I have had some close family and friends in jails and prisons and to see them on the street now you would never now granted they didnt kill any one1 point being just cause your in jail doesnt automatically mean you should die. If we would stop putting people in jail for petty reasons it wouldnt be so crowded. My Family Memeber went to the state penn for a 1-3 year sentence for getting 2 DUI's in 2 months. point being......crimes like this are punishable by other means like mandated rehab or state rehad classes things like that...house arrest would cut down on over crowding too.

The US incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. Currently there are approx 20 million people incarcerated in this country, which is about 10 percent of the population. There are tens of thousands of people in prison for very minor offenses which is why our prison system is the way it is. Not all people in prison are violent offenders and believe it or not, some are even innocent of the crimes they are accused of committing.