Matt Smith in Moses Jones?

I have been watching moses jones to get an idea of what the next doctor will be like, and to what ive watched it is rubbish, i can not see him as the doctor - i am disappointed with all that publisity leading up to reveal the 11th doctor that it tured out to be a young, scruff, small actor that has only eva had small parts.

What do you think?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I haven't actually seen Moses Jones. I've seen it advertised, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of programme that appeals to me very much. So I can't honestly form an opinion on Matt Smith's performance in it.

I have seen Matt Smith in a number of other things, however. The Sally Lockhart mysteries - "Ruby in the Smoke" and "Shadow in the North" (where he had a major role playing Billie Piper's sidekick) for instance, and he was excellent in those. To be honest, I'm kind of worried whether a 26 year old actor can pull off the role of the Doctor, but if anybody of that age can it's Matt Smith.

Also, I trust Steven Moffat. If he reckons Matt Smith is the best actor for the role of the 11th Doctor, I would be very surprised if he's wrong. Who can doubt the man who wrote stories as brilliant as "Blink", "The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances", "Girl in the Fireplace" and "Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead".

Anyway, if your opinion that Smith isn't very good in "Moses Jones" is correct, but the fact remains that he has been very good in other things - that means his performance obviously depends on the role, and we'll just have to wait and see how he does as the Doctor.

A lot of people had similar worries when a little known actor called Tom Baker was announced as the new Doctor in 1974 (he was actually working on a building site when he was chosen to play the Doctor, and at the time was the youngest yet), but he turned out to be one of the best, and a lot of people's all-time favourite. So lets give Matt Smith a chance, and actually see him playing the Doctor before forming an opinion.

• 1 decade ago

Small and small parted actors have done an excellent job playing the doctor in difficult times ; Patrick Troughton and Sylvester McCoy being two.

Having watched Moses Jones its clear for me that the script doesn't give Matt much chance to shine and continued last night to constrain him to the stereotypical detective sidekick.

In interviews Matt says he realises the gravity of the role he is taking on comparing it to the mantle of Sherlock Holmes (an itv remake in the offing) or James Bond. He is already discussing ideas of character and costume with Mr Moffat and others and can think of nothing else.

My only concern is that he has not watched the show as a kid so the elements of wonder and nostalgia may be lacking, but thats the way Steven Moffat wants to go anyway.

A younger doctor would be good as the show ages with its audience, those new fans we first caught at 8 or 9 are now 12 or 13 and may connect more with the younger doc than a more parental doc they may come to rebel against. The most successful pop bands have aged their music and style with its fans, The Beatles, Queen and Abba being prime examples.

Also isn't there canon long ago that as a time-lord ages his regenerations get younger ?

Give him a chance, new style, new monsters (buzz,buzz!) for a new decade.

I've just watched Matt star in Party Animals (it should be on BBC iplayer), he showed a lot of Doctor traits, have a look you won't be disappointed.

• 1 decade ago

I have not seen Moses Jones, but I agree with what most of the people here seem to be saying. Give the poor guy a chance damnit!! And think of it this way, if Matt Smith turns out to be a bad choice for the Doctor, they can just make him regenerate into someone new. But lets hope you're wrong because the Doctor is running out of incarnations!!!

• 1 decade ago

Ha ha, funny you should say that as I have just been watching it on iPlayer and am bemused why they have picked this little dweeb to play the role of the Doctor.

His portrayal as a police officer in Moses Jones is terrible and I do not see him making a good time lord! I think the BBC may be making a mistake!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ot to ive the guy a chance althuh i must say that david has been a fb doctor, and if the public dont like him, they will get rid of him after the first series he's in, just hope they dont go put a woman as the doctor dont think that would work at all sorry

• 1 decade ago

i'm not going to make any judgements on matt smith until I've seen him in a couple of episodes of doctor who. he may turn out to great. as for moses jones its just a crap script.

• 1 decade ago

There is NO WAY that he will be a good doctor who! David Tennant is the best Doctor ever!!

• 1 decade ago

I agree with Spacephantom, give the man a chance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.