What is your favorite book?

I'm looking for some new books to read and I thought this would be a good way to find new books that I wouldn't be able to easily find on my own.

I am 18 years old.

Best Answer

It depends, of course, on what you like to read.

Let's see. Most teenage girls who've asked me this question wanted to start with romance or teen-girl drama. I did enjoy Imzadi by Peter David, and so did a lot of my female friends who do read romance novels and would usually never touch science fiction but for my recommendation. You might also like the Alice books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor or What I Meant by Marie Lamba.

If you want something to make you laugh out loud, read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams, or any of Dave Barry's collection of columns. I've had some people tell me that anyone who likes Dave Barry will also like John Hodgman, but I personally didn't enjoy it quite as much.

If you like fantasy, like Harry Potter and Twilight, you should try any of the DresdenFiles novels by Jim Butcher. If you enjoy the classy English prose of a Charles Dickens-style novel of manners, read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. If you liked the movie Willow (or even if you didn't, but still like fantasy) try the Shadow War novels by Chris Claremont and George Lucas, starting with Shadow Moon. Just be advised going in that Chris Claremont has a very stream-of-consciousness writing style that's not everyone's cup of tea. I'd also advise re-watching the movie beforehand.

I don't know if you are into superhero movies or comic books at all, but another can't-miss is any movie novelization that's been written by Peter David. He can take even lame movies like Batman Forever and Return of the Swamp Thing and make pretty good reads out of them.

If you want to read about real-world events, try The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger, Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile, or 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America by Steve Gillon. The Natashas by Victor Malarek was a good book, but it left me in a foul mood for weeks. Read at your own risk.

If you enjoy espionage thrillers with some grounding in reality, I recommend any of the Mitch Rapp books by Vince Flynn or most of Tom Clancy's earlier works. Red Rabbit is also good.

If you like action thrillers featuring really evil, horrible bad men (like the ones in Natashas) and the heroes that kill them, try the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. Or if you prefer a female protagonist, the Jane Whitefield novels of Thomas Perry. Start with Dance of the Dead.

And finally, here's my list of "classics" i.e.books that you have to have read before you can call yourself a truly well-read, educated individual.

Moby Dick by Herman Mellville

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The Grapes of Wraith John Steinbeck

Dune Frank Herbert

Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain

Gulliver's Travels Johnathan Swift

A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens

The Man Who Was Thursday G. K. Chesterton

The Hound of the Baskervilles Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

For Whom the Bell Tolls Earnest Hemingway

The Old Man and the Sea Earnest Hemingway

The Caine Mutiny Herman Wouk

The Tell-Tale Heart Edger Allen Poe

The Count of Monte Cristo Alexandre Dumas

Treasure Island Robert Stevenson

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

In Cold Blood by Trueman Capote

Sir Apropos of Nothing Peter David

Mutiny on the Bounty Charles Nordhoff

Hope this helps.

Source(s): I used to be a librarian. Can you tell?
  • Mila

I'm also 18 years old =)

The Birth Of Venus by Sarah Dunant

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

Veronika Decides To Die by Paulo Coelho

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

I have many favorite books:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Tricksters Choice and Tricksters Queen

Skellig

Clay

The Lost Years of Merlin

Pendragon series

The Princess and the Hound

Before I die

I'm the kind of person who likes to read series.

Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling....These books can be for anyone at any age.

Twilight Series by Stephany Meyers...........If you like romantic stuff

Warrior Series by Erin Hunter......Has talking cats but is interesting(First book is called "Into the Wild")

Gregor the Overlander by Suzzane Collins(1st book of series)

Princess Diaries(series) by Meg Cabot

The Wanderer by Sharon Creech

Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech

I like to read. Hope I helped.

Steven King's Bag of Bones

This book is not like any of his others, and it is the only Steven King book I like.

Also Diana Gabaldon ( not sure if authors last name is spelled right) has a series. First one is voyager I believe.

I really liked "Earthly Joys" by Phillipa Gregory. It's historical fiction by the same author of "The Other Boleyn Girl." I haven't read that one or seen the movie, but she seems like a good author.

I wish I had more time to read, but the last books I read to completion were the catcher in the rye, fallen angels, of mice and men, and all quiet on the western front.

all are classics and a great read if you somehow haven't read them yet.

Covenant with the Vampire: Diaries of the family Dracul

Hunger Games

Harry Potter series

Twilight Saga

The Host

Time Traveler's Wife (haven't read but i heard many like it)

Hunger Games (haven't read too but heard many like it too)

Undomestic Goddess

Anything by Nicholas Sparks