peanut asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

how long should you wear your retainer for when u just got braces off?

im about to get my braces off .. what is the schedule for wearing your retainer? how long do they recomend? how long should i wear it for if i want my teeth to stay extremely perfect?

Favorite Answer

You should ask your orthodontist =D

Plan to wear your retainer full time for 6 months if you want very perfect teeth. If you need to take the retainer out if you are giving a presentation or talking a lot, that is fine, but you should ALWAYS wear it at night, especially for the first 6 months. After that, you should still wear it at night for many years. My sister has had her braces off for 4 years and her teeth still shift when she doesn't wear her retainer at night for a couple of days.

The orthodontist will tell you to wear it full time for 6 months, except when you eat. Then after that they will check your progress and give you further direction; usually only to wear it at night.

Good luck and don't get discouraged if you have trouble talking! If you stick with it for the first 2 weeks, you'll be talking perfectly before you know it.

If I remember, I think they have you wear your retainer 24/7 (except when eating,of course) after getting your braces off. After awhile, if your teeth are shaping up well, they'll move you to just wearing the retainer at night. I didn't keep track of how long they had me on this schedule.

Source(s): I had braces for two years. I still wear my retainer at night. Well,a splint now.

It depends on your specific situation and your orthodontist.

I got my braces off in October last year and am supposed to wear my retain 24/7 except when eating and brushing my teeth.

However, a friend of mine had to wear it all day the first day and then just at night after that.

And my cousin had to wear it all the time the first month and just at night after that.

I would do whatever your orthodontist reccomends if you want your teeth to stay perfect.

However I typically only wear mine at night because I forget during the day and the retainer still fits and they are still straight.

So it just depends; good luck and congrats on getting your braces off!

you should ask your orthodontist first, but i wore mine for six months day and night except when i had to drink soda, juice etc (not including water) and when i ate food i took them out, washed them and after i was done eating i put them back on. You do this for 6 months then you wear it every night for the rest of your life or else your teeth go back to the way they were. This is what sucks about braces. You can skip one night, but orthodontist recommends not more than that.

But my cousin stopped wearing retainers when she turned 19 and her teeth are just staying straight, but i don't think that's a good idea. If you want it perfect you have to wear it every night for the rest of your life.

Good luck

My friend wears her (top of the mouth) retainer every night, and during the day if she feels like it. She had a permanent retainer put in place behind her bottom teeth (it is basically a metal rod/ wire that is glued behind her bottom teeth). I suggest you, at the very least, wear your retainer every evening. If you don't want to have to worry about it, then get yourself a permanent retainer.

I had braces and my orthodontist told me to wear my retainer for a year straight (only taking them out to brush your teeth and eat) and then you can wear it only at night after you completed the first year. I simply thought it wouldn't be a big deal so i never wore my retainer. Long story short, listen to your doctor. I regret it. My teeth are back to were they were and I waisted $5000. =(

Recommended time line from my ortho:

First Year: 24/7 (only taking out to brush and eat)

Second-Third Year: Only at bedtime

After Third Year: Occasionally

Source(s): Self unfortunately

Wear it for a week straight, then every night after that for the rest of your life. I got my braces off seven years ago. I sometimes miss a night of wearing my retainer but then I just wear for a little bit while I get ready in the morning. My teeth are straight and beautiful.

Best thing to do is wear it night AND day for 2 to 3 weeks. After that just at night. You'll get used to the schedule

• Amanda

Your doctor will tell you all that. Usually they want you to wear it all the time (except for eating) for the first 6 months to a year, but it will depend on how your teeth move.

my orthodontist said every day for 6 months after my braces were removed, then 3 or 4 times a week after that.