Under cabinet lighting in kitchen?

Transformers keep burning out on all cabinet lighting.

It's a 12v system with 12 volt 20 watt xenon bulbs installed in all them .There a total of 6 lighting units . Why are my transformers burning out .

The power is 120 coming off all 6 fixtures . No voltage drop . 1 switch controls all lights in kitchen it appears that nothing else is on that circuit .

What am I overlooking ?

Favorite Answer

Sounds like your total watts for bulbs is more than the watt rating of the transformer.

Switch to LED puck lights for lower hassle and less cost.

Good luck

There are little round lites that people put in china cabinets to light up - china. I've seen them under cabinet's and it looks very good. You might be able to get some that are battery operated and you wouldn't have to deal with wiring at all. I've always thought to try the cheapest way first...and if you don't like it - then change it. You could always sell the lights on eBay if they don't work out!!

Check how many lamps are on each transformer and check the transformer as to how many watts it can handle.

I would change bulbs to 10watt ones and that would save transformers

and am sure the output of light would be OK

I had the same problem with my tap lights and the answer was to pause a moment through the the 3 dimmer stages. The fast taps blew out the transformer. It sounds simple but it worked for me.