proudbrunette95 asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

is three gallons yoo big for one male betta fish?

my fish, jonah, loves swimming around and i got him a week ago. at the moment, he lives in a fishbowl. i saw a three gallon tank at petco for $40.00, three gallons. too much? that tank comes with a filter and light and i hate seeing poor jonah sulk around in his little bowl. please answer?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Thats probly a big improvement to what hes in now. So yes it would be good. Also you could probly get a 5 Gallon around the same price and add one corydoras catfish. Betas only fight other fish that look like betas. If your getting a corydoras catfish though you would have to get a heater.

Corys are small and clean up all access food: There are peppered, panda, bronze, green, albino.

Heres a picture of a peppered cory: http://www.scotcat.com/articles/c_paleatus.jpg

• 1 decade ago

No! Nothing is too big for a betta! Bettas need atleast 2.5 gallons so that 3 gallon would be great. Or you could buy a 5.5 gallon glass tank at Petco for $14 then a Tetra Whisper heater for $14

• 1 decade ago

No! Bettas love it so much!

I had a betta for three years.

Congrats on being a kind owner! So many bettas are abused, forced to live in bowls they can barely survive.

You may want to ditch the filter. Be sure to leave at least a few inches of no water at the top of the tank, so Mr. Betta can draw oxygen from the air.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jonah would appreciate the swimming space. A single male betta requires a minimum of 2.5 gallons, filtration, and a heater.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ianab
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No such thing as a tank thats too big.

I would not put any fish in anything smaller than that, but it will be fine for a single betta. Get a small heater as well unless your room is ALLWAYS warm. Betta are much more active and healthy when kept at the correct temperature (about 27C)

Ian

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is never 'too much" water for your fish. A betta would be just fine with 3 Gallons to himself.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ADD STUFF fish love things to mess with give him more "enrichement"

use cooler decor, get live plants, heck if you see some get some cherry/ghost shrimp for friends.... but also dont freak when you see your fish apearing bored bettas can be very mellow fish especially when they're introduced into a new environment

Source(s): have had bettas around me my whole life
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

3 gallons i pushing the small side of the spectrum.. i wouldn't ever recomend any under than 2.5 gallon ever...

i've had bettas in a 75 gallon tank before, and just remember, they come from rivers and small lakes, not puddles

• 1 decade ago

Actually, it's just slightly too small. 5 gallons with a filter and a heater would be best, but 3 gallons is adequete.

• 1 decade ago

3 gallons is too small these fish come from massive rice paddies.

5 gallons heated and filtered minimum

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.