Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

I just put Transmission Fluid in my 95 Ford Escort...?

I have a 1995 Ford Escort LX Automatic trans, 2-door hatch, 1.9L EFI. I added Transmision fluid, because I believe I was low... I only saw a little trans fluid on the bottom of the sticl, and I mean a tiny bit.

So I added 1/3 a quart of Valvoline MaxLife, after I noticed it seemed to be straining a little for the past 50 or so miles (some highway at 70MPH.) It felt stronger after that. I then drove between 5-10 minutes home, and checked it again.. Better than before, but still not at the level for Hot. So I added from the 2/3 full quart, to an even Half in.

I was on a level surface, and was sure to have the car running, trans in Neutral, and shift it through the gears (R-N-OD-D-L-D-OD-N-R-P-repeat, for 5 seconds apiece) and then parked it. It was a long day for the car - at least 2 hours of driving - and it seemed to have taken well. I shut the car off 1 minute after adding the last 1/8 quart of fluid, 1/2 the quart remains.

So, my quesiton is: Will it be OK? Should it be better tomorrow?

How do I check the level Cold? If I overfilled it (and I do not think I did,) is there a "blow-off valve" to reject the excess fluid like the guy at the parts store said there was?

I just want to be sure... I love my 1995 Ford Escort to death, and dont want to prematurely wear the gears from heat and friction, a little of which may have happened today.

I believe it got low from having to spin my tires out of several deep snow banks... you know when you see the smoke from the front acle, but it is not the tires. That was over the weekend, early on Saturday.

Please give me tips and advice on this, I want to be sure I got it right... also if that last little 1/8 took, even though I thrned the car right off. Thanks.

Best Answer

YOU'VE PRETTY MUCH NAILED IT. HOWEVER TRANSMISSIONS HAVE A VACUUM LINE GOING TO THE VACUUM MODULATOR. AT ONE POINT IT MAY HAVE CAME OFF, LOOSE OR WORN OUT THAT CAN CAUSE THE TRANSMISSION TO SHIFT A BIT ROUGH CHECK IT AND THAT COULD CASUE THE TRANS TO FEEL A BIT SLIPPERY OR PURGE-EE BUT HAVING MORE THAN ENOUGH TRANSMISION FLUID ISNT BAD BUT DEFANANTLY BAD TO HAVE LESS THEN RECOMENDED.. IF WORSE CASE SCENERIO AND U DONT HAVE TRANNY FLUID IN HAND YOU CAN ASLO USE POWER STEERING FLUID. AN EMERGANCIES AND VISE VERSA!

Source(s): PREVIOUS EXPERIANCE

start the car in the morning and let it run for a min and then check the fluid while its cold running and in park. it should be at the cold mark its fine if its above it might be overfilled. drive it and again check it while its hot again check it running and in park, if its at the full mark its good but if its over take it somewhere to get it drained to be at the correct level

if you over fill this is a a overflow valve on top of your tranny...it will just make a mess...sounds like you did everything right...exept u didnt mention if you had the car at opperationgs temp or not.....and you have a right to love that car they are the greatest ever made in my eyes...only issue is...they have always had a problem with the automatic trannys....there normally good for about 100,000 and u can find out this by yourself by trying to locate one in a junk yard...i know i cant find one around my place...but it does sound like your alright with what you did

Source(s): ASE mechanic, ford enthousiast
  • booth

does it GRIND once you attempt to place it into equipment? first situation i'd verify is the take carry of grasp cylinder decrease than the hood. it would be to the the terrific option(while looking from the front) of the brake grasp cyl. make useful that's crammed to appropriate point. no fluid potential no hyd action to bypass the take carry of launch brg, no count if that's finished, you would be able to ought to have the slave cylinder looked at, i'm unsure on that form no count if that's inner or no longer. with the age of the motor vehicle, you would be able to finally finally end up wanting the take carry of replaced. that's no longer decrease priced, kinda exertions extensive. good success.