I just put Transmission Fluid in my 95 Ford Escort...?

I have a 1995 Ford Escort LX Automatic trans, 2-door hatch, 1.9L EFI. I added Transmision fluid, because I believe I was low... I only saw a little trans fluid on the bottom of the sticl, and I mean a tiny bit. So I added 1/3 a quart of Valvoline MaxLife, after I noticed it seemed to be straining a little for... show more I have a 1995 Ford Escort LX Automatic trans, 2-door hatch, 1.9L EFI. I added Transmision fluid, because I believe I was low... I only saw a little trans fluid on the bottom of the sticl, and I mean a tiny bit.

So I added 1/3 a quart of Valvoline MaxLife, after I noticed it seemed to be straining a little for the past 50 or so miles (some highway at 70MPH.) It felt stronger after that. I then drove between 5-10 minutes home, and checked it again.. Better than before, but still not at the level for Hot. So I added from the 2/3 full quart, to an even Half in.

I was on a level surface, and was sure to have the car running, trans in Neutral, and shift it through the gears (R-N-OD-D-L-D-OD-N-R-P-repeat, for 5 seconds apiece) and then parked it. It was a long day for the car - at least 2 hours of driving - and it seemed to have taken well. I shut the car off 1 minute after adding the last 1/8 quart of fluid, 1/2 the quart remains.

So, my quesiton is: Will it be OK? Should it be better tomorrow?

How do I check the level Cold? If I overfilled it (and I do not think I did,) is there a "blow-off valve" to reject the excess fluid like the guy at the parts store said there was?

I just want to be sure... I love my 1995 Ford Escort to death, and dont want to prematurely wear the gears from heat and friction, a little of which may have happened today.

I believe it got low from having to spin my tires out of several deep snow banks... you know when you see the smoke from the front acle, but it is not the tires. That was over the weekend, early on Saturday.

Please give me tips and advice on this, I want to be sure I got it right... also if that last little 1/8 took, even though I thrned the car right off. Thanks.