Difference between Internet and internet?

I might just be making this all up, and it's possibly a sign of me going completely insane...

I remember a while ago getting told that there is a difference between the the Internet spelt with a capital letter, and the internet spelt with a lower case letter.

Before someone tells me it depends if it's the start of the sentence or not I want to crack that one...

Thanks!

• Din
    Best Answer

Actually Internet refers to *the* Internet. The lowercase internet is an abruption of internetworking, which is any connection between 2 or more separate networks. The Internet just happens to be internetworking between ALL networks, at least the public ones.

Some might consider it splitting hairs, but if you're talking about the Internet that you're using right this moment, it's a singular entity and a proper noun. Hence the capitalization.

Internet is spelt with a capital I.

internet is spelt with a lower case i.

That is the only difference.

• RichB

The Internet is an internet, but it's not the only internet.

Same as how Hoover make hoovers, but it's not the only company making hoovers.

No difference

No difference other than the one about starting a scentence.

No different, Budy

regards

http://yosellin.blogspot.com/

i think your are getting mixed up with internet and intranet