Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

11 week old baby sleeping up to 20 hours a day?

My 11 week old baby is prone to sleeping for up to 20 hours a day and I have to wake her for a feed. She sleeps from about 12 at night, wakes around 5 but is pacified with a dummy until 7 when I give her 6 ounzes. Today she wouldn't take her 11 am 6 ounzes, only had 4, then slept till 3, wolfed down her feed of 6 oz at 4 then slept again till6, had another 4 oz and has slept again till 11. Is this normal to sleep so much, I'm worried. The Doctor fobbed me off a bit saying it wasn't her area of expertise but that babys have fluctuating sleep patterns, this did not reassure me! Help!

Favorite Answer

That is a terrible answer from a doctor. My son is 12 weeks old and he doesn't sleep that much. He sleeps all night and takes quite a few naps during the day. As long as your baby is eating, peeing, pooping, and gaining weight I would think she is healthy. Be glad that she sleeps too much rather than not enough.

You are so so lucky!! My daughter at this age wouldn't sleep for more than 20 minutes unless in the car or at night. There is nothing wrong but you may want to look into the Baby Whisperer routines just to give yourself the feeling that your following a recommended routine. She suggests feeds every 3 hours at this age followed by some activity and putting down for naps when baby seems sleepy. Also having a 12 hour night and 12 hour day. Following a routine will help your baby sleep through the night and then you can get most of that sleep happening when you want to sleep! Just remember that every baby is different.

With my son we had to wake him up every five hours to get him to eat he slept all the time it felt like. He would some times take the whole 6 ounzes other times he wouldn't. We called our doctor said that he will tell you when he is hungry. And now he is a healthly two year old. Just as long a your baby is eating and keeping it down i would not be worried. babies do have strange sleeping habits

My baby has slept for 10 hours or more per night since she was 6 weeks old and I do not wake her. She is getting enough during the day to where I know that she is fine. If your baby is not getting enough during the day, you might want to, but I think he is fine! A lot of babies are sleeping through the night between 3 and 4 months old.

It is time to switch doctors. If it was not within their comfort zone to comment or advise on the lengthy sleep times he should have recommended or referred you not just brushed your concerns off.

The fact they felt it too much of a legality/liability to simply say it is normal would be a red flag to me.

You are your child's biggest advocate - time to advocate.

Her doctor didn't have enough confidence in their expertise to give you an answer yet was too arrogant to refer you to another. This could be a blessing in disguise as you would not want such a doctor if your baby's health ever does take a turn for the worse.

Source(s): W/r....

It could be her getting ready for a growth spurt. My daughter has recently started sleeping more. She will sleep all night from 8pm till 5am. Then goes back to bed around 5.30am after a feed and change till around 9am. Then by 11am, shes grumpy and wants to have another sleep for 1.5 hrs or so. Then later on in the afternoon sleeps again for 1.5 hrs. This has only started happening and can only assume its normal. She is taking 8 ozs every feed so its obviously satisfying her at the moment.

Source(s): Mummy to 14 week old baby girl

Some babies just sleep b/c they need it. Or sleep during growth spurts. Although...I do have to wonder about the 7 hour gap between midnight & 7 when you feed her. If your baby wakes at 5, you might want to be giving a bottle then.

I was an on-demand baby feeder, but I didn't let them go past 4.5 hours before feeding them...b/c I felt like that would help stabalize them. Sometimes lethargy can be due to lack of food!

• Sam

As long as she's eating ok then I shouldn't worry, I breastfed my daughter and when she started sleeping too much it turned out that she wasn't getting enough nutrition from me so had no energy. I had to start giving her top up bottles and then she was suddenly awake all of the time. Thought I had a really easy baby, turned out I was starving the poor little mite. Talk to your Health Visitor or baby clinic. Your baby might just be a hungry baby that might need to go on solids early but baby clinic staff have more experience than Doctors

If you want to put your baby to sleep in 20 seconds you must get the "Instant Baby Sleep" MP3 sound track. Here is their official web-site: http://www.instantbabysleep.net/

The sound track gently produces energy over the full human hearing spectrum with an embedded pulse that gently eases the brain to the Alpha state well known for drowsiness and sleep induction.

Its very normal for your baby to sleep a lot. I have a 5 month old baby and he sleeps about the same amount of time as your baby does. what i do is take advantage of that time that he is sleeing to clean and cook.