how can I patent a new technology (a added invention to an existing technology)?

Could someone please tell – how can I patent a new technology (a added invention to an existing technology) when the core of the technology is already in existence and have been patented??

How can I get by this?? Except cross licensing or creating partnerships, what else can I do??

Favorite Answer

There is nothing you need to "get by". Adding new invention/technology to an existing technology is patentable as long as it meet the criteria of nonobviousness. That is, one skilled in the art would not find it obvious to combine the two technologies. While it may sound like a difficult and vague standard, that is the requirement. The determination of whether the combination of your new technology and the existing one is obvious will be done by a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. This link from the USPTO website may be helpful...

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/iip/patents.h...

as a thanks to sidestep copyright/ patent subject matters, you are able to verify the authorities website. mild adjustments to an modern invention oftentimes would not infringe on that patent. AJM- 88 Media team sales