Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

In a bush fire what precautions should be taken to remain safe?

I wanna be extra safe , as I live in australia and we're having bush fire season, give me everything you know, encluding some tips (:

Thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Your local fire authority can provide the best advice on what steps to take however it’s important to remember that no matter where you live, preparation needs to start well before a fire. This means clearing any flammable material from around your home, such as wood piles and leaves in your gutters. Identify all water sources around your property and ensure you have equipment to use them, including pumps and hoses.

Every home should have an Action Plan, so everyone in that home knows exactly what to do in the event of a fire. The question of staying and defending or leaving early is one that needs to be carefully considered and you need to weigh up the physical and mental ability of yourself and those around you to deal with a fire.

Before the fire approaches, dress in protective clothing such as long sleeve cotton shirts, pants, boots, gloves and a hat. Prepare any livestock or pets.

As the fire approaches, block gutters and fill them with water and remove flammable items from around your home such as door mats and outdoor furniture. Wet vegetation around your home and patrol your property for spot fires.

As the fire front arrives, move inside the house to protect yourself from the radiant heat. Be alert for any fires, especially in the roof space. Stay away from windows and importantly, stay calm and do not run blindly from the fire.

Once the fire front has passed, move outside and patrol the property for any fires you can put out.

• 1 decade ago

The only real way to remain safe during a bush fire is Distance. Get as far away from the fire. You can have as many contingency plans to combat the fire but if decide to stay and fight it like many that perished on "Hells Weekend" you place yourself at the mercy of the demon. Ask any fireman in the business, even they would have evacuated on that terrible day. Fires take on a life of their own, unpredicatable and deadly. Why did so many stay and attempt to fight the fires? CFA recommendation? no insurance? Beaten fires before? no one knows but whatever the answers are, they werent worth the lives that were lost

• 4 years ago

Lol, popular flu lines kill 20,000 people a 300 and sixty 5 days interior the U. S. by myself, swine flu has basically killed a sprint over one thousand worldwide huge. Why complication yet? Snakes kill greater people in a 300 and sixty 5 days than swine flu has so a processes. heavily, after SARS, West Nile Virus, and different terrible plagues that have became out to be merely media concern mongering, why complication? Crappy processed nutrients is a genuine killer. Swine flu is largely a extremely harder than popular flu rigidity for now. the biggest possibility is that there's no longer lots organic immunity to it yet. Now AIDS is a genuine situation. merely relax people, do no longer enable the media and government make you afraid approximately each new virus that seems. The governments are taking smart precautions.

• Ben J
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You have to decide on a fire safe zone around the house i.e. how many feet can the flames jump from the edge of the trees/foliage to your house.

Clear the area from there to your place. As far as possible have a metal roof.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Clear a safety zone around your home. Clear it of anything that will burn. I life in a forrest and have to do the same in case of wildfire. It is also very important to have a fire resistant roof i.e. metal.

• Katty
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Get gutter stoppers - these fit at the top of the down pipe so you can fill the gutters with water and stop the sparks from getting under the eaves

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.