Why do 4x4 jeeps need lockers?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Lockers in the axle hubs put both tires to work at the same time and distribute torque to the wheel that needs it more. You don't NEED lockers, but they make it a true 4x4 and increase traction tenfold. They range from $400-1200, so not everyone uses them.

Source(s): 1994 YJ, 1990 XJ still open diffs
  • 1 decade ago

Because two-wheel drive is one really one-wheel drive, and four-wheel drive is really 2-wheel drive, particularly when dealing with open differentials.

Basically, only one wheel on the axle is providing the push. Extra bad news if one is on a slippery surface, the other sold, and you don't have a locker or limited-slip differential.

The reason they are generally designed like that is to reduce wear and.... "jumping" when cornering.

If you're going to get a locker, get one you can turn off when you are done wheeling. I think ARB still makes a decent pneumatic locker, from what I hear.

• 1 decade ago

well 4x4's arnt true 4x4's there limted slip axles..so if you get lockers it makes your axles positraction ..and lockers are really only needed for heavy off roading.i hope i helped.

Source(s): 1985 cj7 ,4.2 bored ,3 lift kits ,36" super's mounted on sweet outlaws , both dana 44's locked with detriot lockers,well over $10,000 invested.(its a jeep thang)
  • 1 decade ago

So there is extra traction when you get one wheel off the ground, front or rear. Also, when one side is on pavement and the other in the dirt, it is a great help.

Source(s): 4 Wheelin' and being married to a 4X4 er of 55 yrs. , for 37 yrs. and we don"t get stuck either. Mud, snow or sand. Havin' fun.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

For reason people like them a lot. They still more 4x4 than any cars.

• 1 decade ago

so you get more tractin too both wheel cause if you did not have one the tire wit thr less wieght spins you dont allways want that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.