Is drinking alcohol before prom a good idea?

Before you all answer with no, I'm not planning on drinking alcohol before my school prom to get drunk or be stupid or anything. I get really nervous before big events like this and go really shy and quiet. I'm aware drinking alcohol makes you "ease up" a bit, and was thinking about whether drinking a bit before would make me less shy and tense. If I was to, how much red wine would I have to drink?

Favorite Answer

Drinking alcohol does make you ease up a bit, but there's a fine line between getting nicely tipsy - where you're sociable and fun - and stupid tipsy, where you end up hitting on everyone and saying things you'd really rather keep to yourself. Also it's hard to decide how much to drink, and even if you're aiming for nicely tipsy it's easy to go overboard and get drunk (sometimes it takes awhile for you to notice) and once you've drunk too much there's not much you can do to undo it short of a) making yourself puke, b) drinking lots of water and eating and waiting til it wears off.

If you're underage well I'd never really recommend it but if you're not, a couple glasses of wine would relax you. I can't say how much you'd need to drink because it depends on so many things, including body mass, alcohol tolerance/experience, and how much you've eaten and how well-hydrated you are. Make sure to eat dinner and that you're not dehydrated. Start with one glass, drinking sloooowly, and wait and see how you feel. Make sure your head doesn't feel too heavy and that you're still thinking straight!

Source(s): Experience

I'm in high school too and i know that when people start drinking alcohol, not only do they ease but they also seem a little awkward and wierd. Now, i dont think you would want to look stupid for your school prom. Maybe too help you ease up you could try an alternative. Honestly, i would say you should just hang out with the friends that you usually hang out with (the ones you're yourself around) and just have fun!

That is, in fact, a very stupid decision. I'm not saying you're stupid for thinking that, it's just a stupid idea. Your date will not like it if you show up with booze on your breath, and I promise you, even though you're shy (I'm very antisocial despite my friendly nature) you will have 10 times as much fun sober as you will dealing with the problems drinking will have. School officials can find out, your date will find you less appealing and less respectable, you could get drunk by accident, and even if you don't get caught and your date doesn't mind, there's the knowledge that you had to have alcohol to help you have a good time, which is not a good feeling.

Smirnoff Ice, I was the same when I started drinking, hated the taste of alcohol but my brother literally force fed me smirnoff ice when I was 15 so i knew I liked (he only did it to prove i would like it!) I didn't drink before I was 18 and always swore to my parents they wouldn't need to worry about me going out to pubs and getting really drunk I think my exact words were "I'll never set foot in a pub" how i'm eating those words now! I have a friend just like you, she is really anxious about the idea of being drunk but she will occasionally have a drink even tho she doesn't like even slightly feeling the effects of it! She drinks smirnoff ice as well, on the rare occasion she drinks.

I don't think it is a good idea. First, if you aren't used to drinking a lot you might get sick and end up hugging a toilet bowl all night. Second, if they smell alcohol on you when you get to the prom, they will most likely make you leave. I get shy sometimes too and the best thing to do is just surround yourself with people you are comfortable with. Try going in a group of your close friends.

A lot of kids back when I was in HS got expelled. they showed up smelling of booze. NOT a good idea. Let yourself learn how to get out of your shell and never depend on alcohol. NOT a good idea.

No because if you're in America you gotta be 21, don't like that? Deal with it.

I'm guessing you're under age, obviously because you're still in school, so I say NO. If you get caught, thats not gonna be cool. Wait until afterwards if you want to.

They might breathalize you, but if not then a little bit should be fine.

no don't drink before my last prom they had Breathalyzers if you didn't pass you didn't graduate