bpa and liquid formula question?

Our ped put my daughter on Enfamil AR formula because she was spitting up alot. The powder was too hard to mix fully and kept getting clumps so I switched to the canned liquid. Yesterday I read an article online that said that the bpa chemical found in alot of bottles is also used in the manufacture of these cans so liquid formula is a bad idea. This can't be true or it would be recalled, right? Why are these companies allowed to use these chemicals in bottles/cans/whatever if they know it's dangerous? PLEASE don't give me a lecture about why it's better to breastfeed. I understand the benefits of breastmilk but if she spits it all up it's not gonna do her any good anyway.

Favorite Answer

BPA is in almost all can linings

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/04/bpa-danger...

The US dose not have a BPA ban Canada dose but dose not apply to can linings (yet)

When you used the powder did you warn the water (I find the powdered mixes better if the water is warm)

Most companies don't think BPA is dangerous since the FDA says it's ok plus it would cost more to chang to a lining that is BPA free( about 2.2 cents more)

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNew...

Powdered infant formula is not sterile so you are taking a risk using it.

I don't mean to sound rude but you should due research on BPA and non sterile powdered formula and see what you would rather use (more or less pick you poison)

Companies do *not* have to recall BPA items or stop using BPA items. Yes, BPA is generally considered a bad idea, but the FDA has not required a recall of it. Any BPA recalls, at least in the US, have been voluntary on the part of the companies.

What does the inside of your cans look like? Is it a metaly color or a white color? BPA is found in cans is used in a liner that goes inside of the can, which is usually white. If your cans are "normal can color" on the inside, they aren't lined with anything containing BPA.

Do you have other options for mixing the powder formula to get rid of the lumps? What happens if you mix up a day's worth of feeds in a mug or something with a stick blender? Or, mix them up in a regular blender? (both obviously sanitized, of course). Can you just shake the heck out of a regular bottle to get all of the clumps out? What about putting the almost mixed formula through a strainer or sive to push out the lumps?

it is desirable to greater products than in simple terms the waiting to feed formula. in simple terms about all metallic cans have a lining that incorporates bpa. meaning even powdered formula is offered in touch with it incredibly is bpa lining. people who're in cardboard bins with in elementary terms a metallic backside needless to say have much less touch than those in all metallic cans, yet they nonetheless have a lining with BPA. a similar situation applies to canned ingredients to boot, so which you had greater advantageous ward off eating canned ingredients too.

It is true.

http://www.ewg.org/node/25642

"Previous formula testing by EWG and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has shown that BPA leaches from the plastic lining of metal cans into liquid formula, exposing formula-fed babies to potentially harmful concentrations that are higher than levels leaching from the bottles. BPA levels in powdered formula sold in the United States haven’t been tested, but this formula is diluted with water before being fed to babies, and thus poses less risk to babies."

Most plastics have some type of bpa in them.

Of interest:

http://www.blogher.com/baby-bottles-bpa-are-danger...

I don't know if you've tried, but pre-mixing the powder in a large batch and storing it in the fridge helps it dilute better. That might be an alternative to the liquid if you haven't done that.

Your daughter had GRD (reflux) right? My daughter had the same thing. She was prescribed baby zantac. Ask about it. It helped alot.