What is the State of Maryland Correctional Officer's Test?

Searching for a job, a correctional officer position may be the way to go but what does the testing entail?? It says video & written. Is there a physical test also??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The test they are specifically referring to is an updated MMPI type I test which was originally used for top secret clearances and has been changed for police/corrections.

It is a timed ( 2 1/2 hour) exercise of 600 questions. Multiple choice only so a computer can grade them. It will have 25 or so scenarios phrased differently to see how you evaluate a situation and your reaction to each.

At the beginning of the section, you will be given a set of "rules". The scenario will change it slightly. Best advice ( both for the test and on the job) is STICK TO THE RULES. Do not be human, Do not be a "nice guy". You will be played every single day with absolutely honest sounding excuses and heart breaking sob stories. You are dealing with human predators who have nothing better to do all day long. Stick to the rules and you will be fine,

This is not a pass/fail test. It is scored 1 to 100 with 100 being the best. The department will start their interviews with the top scores and will continue until all postions are filled. If you score below an 80, chances of any positions being left by the time they reach you are slim.

After making this test, you will also have a physical agility test. Nothing superhuman. If you are in average shape, you should do fine. Wear comfortable running shoes as part of the test will be a timed run ( usually 600 yards within 8 minutes or so).

There will be a urine drug test prior to hiring and random drug testing during your career. Failing a drug screen is grounds for dismissal.

Last item will be several gaining interviews. Common sense applies in this. Don't go into any situation without backup being present. When in doubt, call a supervisor.

Best of luck and I hope this is useful to you

Source(s): 20 years as a Corrections Officer in a max prison. Firearms Instructor, Arsenal Officer, Armorer, Use of Force Instructor, Chemical Munitions Instructor.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Correctional Officer Maryland

• 4 years ago

Correctional Officer Test Questions

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the State of Maryland Correctional Officer's Test?

Searching for a job, a correctional officer position may be the way to go but what does the testing entail?? It says video & written. Is there a physical test also??

Source(s): state maryland correctional officer 39 test: https://shortly.im/G16Pw
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jana
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

The federal level pays less than most states. The retirement isn't as good either. I would strongly suggest the California Department of Corrections. They pay better than the federal system. Most prisons are in sparsely populated areas where the cost of living is much lower. The benefits are good and you have the same retirement as most police officers in the state (3%/50 - which means you will get up to 90% of your base pay for life after 30 years of service -- not a bad gig). Good luck. I would go with being a State Trooper myself. Corrections is a tough gig.

• 1 decade ago

Yes

Source(s): Google
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.