Claire asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How much are French Bulldogs from pet stores?

And also do they shed a lot? Thanks!

Update:

Please just answer my question! I have a dog from a pet store and he is fine!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

From a french bulldog owner: Pure-bred French Bulldogs can range in price from around $1,200 to $5,000 or more depending on the pedigree. Their fur is short and smooth and they do shed, somewhat, but it's not as bad as some breeds with longer or "fuzzier" textures. The fur is "needley" and can stick into carpet or upholstery, though, but can be easily vacuumed from most materials. Please read everything you can about the french bulldog breed because they are true to their namesake and can be quite "determined" in everything that they do, which makes training a bit of a challenge with some of them. The people who wrote about not buying from pet stores are trying to help - Pet stores buy puppies from puppy-mills to get a low price so they can turn around a good profit. Pets from pet stores may be ok - healthwise, but it's a risk that physical or behavioral issues may show up later on, plus if you purchase a dog from a pet store you may be unknowingly advocating cruelty to the animals by supporting the puppymill owners. And you may end up paying much more for a puppy through a pet store, than if you went to a reputable breeder. Good, caring breeders would NEVER sell their puppies through a pet store and would be a member of a national breed club, such as the French Bulldog Club of America (FBDCA)....they have to sign a code of ethics. That's why puppymills and backyard breeders do not belong to the FBDCA or any local dog clubs. I'm not saying that every breeder that is a member is above reproach. Many breed more litters each year than they should, but the majority of them ONLY BREED TO BETTER THE BREED or to get a puppy for themselves to show, and not for profit or financial gain. To find a reputable breeder, check the AKC website for French Bulldog puppies for sale or visit the French Bulldog Club of America's website (www.frenchbulldogclub.org) to see the breeders they list. It's a good place to start. I also recommend visiting a dog show and talking to the breeders or the people showing their dogs to get recommendations. You could also get a rescued frenchie from the French Bulldog Rescue Network (www.frenchbulldogrescue.org) for much less than from a breeder. There are some wonderful dogs with FBRN who are looking for forever homes. I hope you'll decide to get a frenchie - they're wonderful!!

Source(s): French Bulldog Club of America: www.frenchbulldogclub.org French Bulldog Rescue Network: www.frenchbulldogrescue.org
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You should go to a creditable breeder who has done heath checks and genetic tests to make sure the parents are both healthy and not related. Dogs in pet stores are from puppy mills because no creditable breeder sells their puppies to a pet store because they don't know the type of home their puppies will get. If your not hung up on a puppy (going through puppy-hood is hell for new owners) go to a shelter or petfinder.com you can find purebreeds at shelters or a mixed breed that is perfect for you! Also french bulldogs blow their coat twice a year, and don't shed that bad if you brush them once a day.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes they shed.

The price is usually overpriced compared to buying one from a good breeder. Then you went up with a poorly bred dog with a ton of health & behavior issues. If you can afford to pet store prices, you can buy one from a reputable breeder instead. Contact the French Bulldog club & rescue. They can point you to a good breeder or know of some for adoption.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Why on earth would you want to buy from a pet store AKA puppy mill dog? Pet stores up the price so why on earth would you WANT to willing buy from a pet store when there are shelters and reputable breeders out there? Hell why not just buy direct from a BYB? Its prob. cheaper, but not in the long run you are going have fun with all those vet bills. Good luck honey!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Don't buy from a pet store! If you want a certain breed, look into rescue centers or organizations that specialize in rescuing and rehabilitating specific breeds. There are so many homeless animals in need of loving homes, why would anyone want to buy from a breeder or pet store? Plus, no legit breeder is going to sell their dogs in a pet store.

• 1 decade ago

Please do NOT get a french bulldog or any other dog from a pet store. These puppies come from places called puppy mills, where their parents live in tiny crates, often outside in their own feces, forced to have litter after litter and when they are no longer able to breed they are shot. If you buy from pet stores you are supporting these things!!!! Please buy from a reputable breeder or adopt!

Best of luck

:)

Source(s): My puppy mill rescued pomeranian who now suffers from many psychological traumas.
  • 1 decade ago

Thousands and these are dogs from puppy mills.Please purchase one from someone else as they go for around $450.When you get a pup from a pet store it just opens a spot for another poor abused puppy mill dog

• susan5 years agoReport

If you find a puppy for $450, it is a scam. Adult rescues are in that range, but not a healthy purebred puppy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They cost WAY less than all of the vet bills you will pay for it.

Pet store puppies come from puppymills.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

please do not buy from a pet store. You are supporting horrendous puppy mills when you buy from them. Please find a reputable breeder in your area. I have never owned one so not sure about the shedding. I think the other bulldogs shed pretty badly.

• adopt a pet in need

www.petfinder.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.