In April I'm hosting a French exchange student for 10 days...?

What could I do to make them feel comfortable?

I am a 15 year old girl (freshman in high school). The French student may be anywhere from 9th to 12th grade.

They will probably be a girl, because my mom said she'd prefer to host a girl than a boy.

I'm in French II, so I don't know THAT much French.

Also, my teacher doesn't want us to treat them as if they're in France because the whole point is for them to feel American.

I know if I were going to a foreign country for more than a week, I would be SUPER nervous and awkward. What can I do to make them feel welcome?

They will be with me pretty much 24/7. Thanks!!!

Favorite Answer

OH, I had 2 foreign exchange students living in my house for a month last summer. To make them feel comfortable you should just be yourself around them. Also, you could maybe find out a few things that they like to do. I don't know about you but with the organization that we went through we got the students' e mail addresses and talked with them before they came here. Just tell them about your family and what you like to do and where you live. Also ask them questions that you're curious about in return.

And when they do come here, don't talk to them very slowly or too loudly, as if they are deaf or mentally challenged. It feels degrading to them. Just talk at a normal volume and don't speak too fast or too slowly. E mail me and tell me what happens cause i'm curious to know. GOOD LUCK!

P.S. My students were from France and Austria ^^

Source(s): Experience

A few polite phrases can break the ice : http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/french.ph...