I have a copy of a stock certificate that was issued in 1929--how do i find out if it is worth anything?

The company no longer exists in birmingham, alabama and i can't find out anything from the original corporation in Virginia.

The Hospital Realty Corporation of Woodlawn is the name of the stock--as far as i know the company has not merged with another, but everything i find out leads to a dead end.

Favorite Answer

Since the stock market crash that started the Great Depression happened in Oct 1929, it is very likely that this company is no longer around; it probably folded then or shortly after. I Googled it (as you probably did) and could find no mention of the company. Update!: I found a link to a guide to the papers of some guy's estate (a Richard Watkins Carrington, probably a lawyer, it looks like a catalog index of all of his cases). It looks like he died in 1933 or sometime thereafter. It's at: http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaead/published/uva-... It lists your company as a litigant in a legal case vs. a Jerone Edmunson and says 1927-1933. It also happens to list its incorporation by-laws and minutes circa 1927 to 1930 in a separate entry. I'll bet he was their legal counsel at one time. I'm thinking the company went out of business in the 1930s. He was a lawyer: his bio notes at at: http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaead/published/uva-...

You need to find out what happened to the company. DId they merge with another company or change the name. If the company closed down completely then the stock is worthless. However if the company is now operating as part of another company then you might have yourself a small fortune. Whats the company name?

I have one dated December 12, 1928, for five shares, was thinking about having it framed, but thought we d look into it.

Put all your money in real estate

Put all your money in real estate