What does it mean when paint is "cured"?

What is cured paint? Is it paint that is completely dry and smooth?

Best Answer

Curing and drying are two different processes in modern paints.

When paint dries, the carrier (typically water in latex paints, a solvent in oil based paints) evaporates, allowing the paint to form a film. As the carrier evaporates, other chemicals that act as stabilizers evaporate as well.

The stabilizers prevent the paint curing in the can. Once they start to evaporate, other chemicals in the paint are free to react with each other to form new chemicals. Usually these are small chunks of polymers (think plastic) combining to make larger chunks of polymers that effectively form a large sheet.

The paint will not achieve its full strength until it is completely cured. It will be easier to scratch or stain. Under good conditions, paint will usually be 80 - 90% cured in a couple of days, fully cured in a few weeks.

Also, as the chemical structure of the paint changes, the color and opacity of the paint film will change as well. If you put new paint over old paint of the exact same color, the colors will look different for a while after it is dry, but as the paint cures the colors will come back into line.

• Sylvia

I think that a Birmingham is a specific type of painting, i.e. the main focus. The song is sung by Traci Lawrence, but I think his version is a remake. It's about a guy that loses a woman and then wants her back. The closest he gets is a painting of the way he wants things to be: "Could you paint me a birmingham, make it look just the way I planned; A little house on the edge of town, porch going all the way around. Put her there in the front porch swing, a cotton dress in early spring. For a while she'll be back again, could you paint me a birmingham." The chorus says it all, really.

Cure Definition

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): paint quot cured quot: https://biturl.im/QlfvX
  • Louise

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avrvH

A burmingham is a type of house. The song is about the singer asking an artist to paint him the perfect house with his lost love in the picture. It's by Tracy Lawrence, here's the lyrics: He was sittin' there, his brush in hand Paintin' waves as they danced, upon the sand With every stroke, he brought to life The deep blue of the ocean, against the mornin' sky I asked him if he only painted ocean scenes He said for twenty dollars, I’ll paint you anything Could you Paint Me A Birmingham Make it look just the way I planned A little house on the edge of town Porch goin’ all the way around Put her there in the front yard swing Cotton dress make it, early spring For a while she’ll be, mine again If you can Paint Me A Birmingham He looked at me, with knowing eyes Then took a canvas from a bag there by his side Picked up a brush, and said to me Son just where in this picture would you like to be I said if there’s any way you can Could you paint me back into her arms again. Could you Paint Me A Birmingham Make it look just the way I planned A little house on the edge of town Porch goin' all the way around Put her there in the front yard swing Cotton dress make it, early spring For a while she’ll be, mine again If you can Paint Me A Birmingham Paint Me A Birmingham Make it look just the way I planned A little house on the edge of town Porch goin' all the way around Put her there in the front yard swing Cotton dress make it, early spring For a while she’ll be, mine again If you can Paint Me A Birmingham Oh Paint Me A Birmingham

Some friends of mine painted a room, and used masking tape to hang a poster about a week later. When they took the poster down, the paint came off the wall with it. The paint had dried but not cured.

I agree with answer 1.. When it has completely dried and adhered to the surface put on. While it may be dry to the touch after a couple days it does take 30 days to fully cure.

Source(s): Interior Designer and years experience working in a paint store

1

Source(s): Eliminate Sciatica Forever http://ReliefSciaticaNaturally.enle.info/?44d7

paint that is completely dry. a process that takes about 30 days.

(no matter the kind of paint, allow 30 days to cure is a rule of thumb)

Source(s): painter, faux finish artist, gilder, muralist, and general hack 40 years.

Yes, it's paint that has been on the wall long enough that it is as dry as it's going to get.