JellyJoBo asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

How to lighten my dark brown hair with peroxide;?

Do I pour it on my head? haha

Favorite Answer

No, I wouldn't recommend pouring peroxide directly on to your head as an attempt to lighten your hair. A good friend of mine made her own at-home formula by mixing a bit of peroxide in with hair gels and sat out in the sun daily to gradually lighten her dark brown, almost-black hair. But that was because, as a teenager, her mom would not allow her or her siblings to dye their hair, so they sneaked it in to hair products. And she never told me exactly how much peroxide to use per bottle or tube of hair gel. My guess would be a couple of tablespoons. If you really do want to try peroxide, before doing this to all of your hair, I would recommend you try spraying just a FEW strands of your hair with Sun In (main ingredient is peroxide), use a blow dryer on it and see how you like the result first.

However, based upon my personal experience of using Sun In (available at Walmart for about $3 - $4 a bottle) waaay back in my teen years, I can tell you that peroxide is extremely harsh on hair. Unless you have naturally blonde, dark blonde, or light brown hair with golden highlights, peroxide WILL turn your hair into a brassy-orange. It's not exactly a pretty result. And you will need to use some deep conditioner at least every other day in order to make your damaged hair look shiny, but too much of that can also make your hair look flat.

Here's a video of tips on how to use peroxide to lighten your hair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfOsuzp5_l0

Youtube thumbnail

Seriously, if you really want to lighten your hair and you're too cash-strapped for a professional color treatment, I would recommend at least get the common store brands of colors to try. After using the permanent color treatment, be sure to use loads of deep conditioner, preferably let it sit overnight, but just wrap your hair inside a shower cap and then rinse well in the morning. That's what my sister-in-law did and it helped to keep her hair shiny after an at-home color treatment.

**Regardless of what hair color we have, we all have 3 types of natural highlights: gold, red, or blue (as in Jet Black or Blue Black hair). To determine what is your natural highlight, step outside in to the sun and hold up a few strands of your hair against the sunlight. Look closely at the color(s) that shimmers in the sun. That will indicate what category of natural highlight you have & you will know if Sun In or home-formulated peroxide will work on you or not. If you decide on buying the store-brand colors, instead of Sun In, your natural highlight color will also tell you if you're in the Warm or Cool tone, and what type of color will work on you. For example, if you have natural red highlights, you should choose a color that has a Red Base. And remember, if you want the color to come out more natural, NEVER go more than 2 shades lighter or darker than your natural color.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Source(s): I'm Asian and my hair is dark brown, almost black, with natural red highlights. Peroxide does not work well on Asian hair colors.
  • Erika

How To Lighten Brown Hair

• ?

YES- however it is a very sluggish method(over a few weeks relying on typical hair colour). On darkish brown to black hair be forewarned that it is going to pass through a few purple sunglasses, however should you retain to make use of it as a rule(each a million-two days)- as a shampoo combine or conditioner combine(left on hair & scalp round an hour in keeping with program)- it is going to lighten additional to a golden(strawberry blonde). My typical color is darkish brown, and I've gotten first-class outcome with a day-to-day "shampoo" mixture of three% peroxide & hot water with a little bit baking soda further. Shake it good in a sprig bottle & practice to DRY(no longer rainy) hair. Results are a gorgeous first rate watching blonde color- despite the fact that the foundation/scalp field for a few motive does not lighten as a lot. Experiment & uncover out what works first-class for you.

I prefer brunette over dirty blonde hair and it doesn't matter to me if the hair is curly or perhaps not

yea... thats wat i did