Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Rick C asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

isn't it amazing that William James Sidis, thought to have the highest IQ in human history, did nothing?

I mean he did some things that were amazing! It is believe that he had an IQ of between 250 and 300. Here is a few notables, taken from Wikipedia..

After some trial and error, he started feeding himself with a spoon at eight months.

Cajoled by Boris, Sidis learned to pronounce alphabetic syllables from blocks hanging in his crib.

At six months, William said his first word - "door". A couple months later he told his mother that he liked things, doors and people, that move.

At seven months he pointed to Earth's moon and called it, "moon."

Learned to spell efficiently by one year old.

Started reading The New York Times at 18 months.

Started typing at three. Used his high chair to reach a typewriter. First composed letter was an order for toys from Macy's.

Read Caesar's Gallic Wars, in Latin (self-taught), as a birthday present to his Father in Sidis's fourth year.

Learned Greek alphabet and read Homer in Greek in his fourth year.

Learned Aristotelian logic in his sixth year.

At the age of six, Sidis learned Russian, French, German, and Hebrew, and soon after, Turkish and Armenian.

Calculated mentally the day any date in history would fall, at age six.

Learned Gray's Anatomy at six. Could pass a student medical examination.

Started grammar school at six. In three days he was moved to the third grade, and he graduated from grammar school in seven months.

Wrote four books between ages of four and eight. Two on anatomy and astronomy are lost.

Passed Harvard Medical School anatomy exam at age seven.

Passed Massachusetts Institute of Technology entrance examinations at age eight unofficially, scoring a perfect 100 on the mathematics and physics sections, and officially at age ten.[32]

Corrected E. V. Huntington's mathematics text galleys at the age of eight.

His father attempted to enroll him at Harvard at eight (going on nine).

At age ten, in one evening, corrected Harvard logic professor Josiah Royce's book manuscript: citing, "wrong paragraphs."[33]

Mastered higher mathematics and planetary revolutions by age 11.

Having accomplished all that, you never heard his world famous, history making accomplishments, because there aren't any. It proves that it's not how intelligent you are, it's what you DO with the intelligence. Einstein wasn't even that bright, compared to Sir Issac Newton, who had an IQ of like 180. Einstein's was 160..

Favorite Answer

"Whether or not his childhood life was psychologically normal, William's life after Harvard was a series of unhappy incidents. He engaged in obscure mechanical jobs because, it was reported, "he did not want to think." At the age of twenty-four he estranged himself from his parents and to his last days the gap between parents and son remained unreconciled, though toward his sister he always felt a brotherly love which was expressed by a bond of friendship and mutual interests. Toward the press, William Sidis bore an everlastingly strong hatred."

• ?

William James Sidis Iq

I had a dream once where I had super human strength, it wasn't very fun (according to the dream). Like, I was too strong and I couldn't control my strength, so I was like opening door knobs, but breaking the door down on accident. It kinda reminded me of Sky High a bit, when he first got his powers. But to have the highest IQ in the world? That would be amazing. I hate not being able to figure things out! It really sucks when I can't get something no matter how hard I try. I'm one of those people who never quit trying, and life would be a lot easier if I didn't have to spend a few hours to understand something!

Some people just decide to use their talents in different ways and simply enjoy doing other things. Moe Berg was a World War II spy, had a law degree, could speak several languages and read several newspapers a day. What did he decide to do? He played as a catcher for several major league teams. When asked why he played baseball and not use his intelligence in some way, he said, "I'd rather be a ballplayer than a justice on the U.S. Supreme Court."

• Tony B

So what's new already? I know quite a few people who are really clever, but lack the drive to achieve anything in particular. Take me, I'm not clever at all, and I don't have the drive to achieve anything but my own happiness and that of my loved ones! I have a brother who is very clever, two in fact. One is a thief and a junky, and the other is a successful salesman. So what's new?

There's a difference between learning to be smart and a Child Prodigy of smartness. To be famous, he was a child prodigy and that's how he became, famous, smart and more. Not because he was average and accomplished things, but because he was unique and already knew things before he was "supposed" to. He didn't have to accomplish anything.

Source(s): I've studied Child Prodigies for a year now.

You don't suppose this is what happened to Georgie W. Bush, do you? He was just so smart that he was a completely worthless psychopath and couldn't get two words together in a row. I bet that's it!