How do i reinstall my XP operating system?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Nama
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First of all set your first device to cd rom, to do so turn on your computer and enter into BIOS by pressing the key shown on the corner of your screen. e.g: F2=Setup

Find boot option and set your CD rom device as a first boot device.

Once you have done it, Insert your XP Cd and restart PC.

It will ask you if you want to boot from cd just like this

Press any key to boot from CD rom...............

It will wait for you to press any key to start setup, so press any key

and the setup will start , you can then follow the instructions on the screen and setup your windows xp .

I hope this will help you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If the problem is that your operating system is damaged of missing you should start your computer with your Windows XP Installation CD in a CD/DVD Drive.

Your computer will boot up from the CD not your hard drive and it will give you a chance to repair or re-install Windows XP.

Here is a tutorial from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

Be careful because any Re-installation will wipe your hard drives clear of information. So make sure you back everything up.

Source(s): Own Knowledge
  • amento
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Many contemporary laptops have a hidden partition that enables a 'production facility / device fix' .. pass examine that first (eg very early Dell's i think F12 ... later ones F8 & blanketed interior the 'secure mode' menus ..) IF there is not any hidden partition, and the XP license code decal has 'OEM' in it, you opt for the manufacturers very own device fix disk ... (eg HP, Dell, etc) Early XP disks got here in 2 flavors ... XP professional and XP homestead .. later disks blanketed the two variations (the License code selects which vsn. you get) .. if the disk says 'professional' or 'homestead' on it this would desire to tournament the License form .. notice - if the XP disk fails besides, pass into the computing gadget BIOS at means on & locate the BOOT ORDER placing & set it to CD/DVD stress first ....

• 1 decade ago

1) USE an xp cd

2) See if you have a repair partition on your hard drive and boot into it.

3) Sometimes there is an I386 folder for you to have a default install.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

restart your machine,have your left finger holding down the left ctrl key>when xp starts up on the blue bar on top start tapping f11 while holding down left ctrl key, it'll take u to dell norton ghost recovery after u click recovery,the computer will manage it self. good luck

• Firzen
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

If you don't mind losing data, just format your HDD (right click+format) and boot from the XP disk. If you don't want to lose data, back it up first :)

• 1 decade ago

Put your disc in then restart hit the boot key and your good to go.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.